I had good luck with the SCD (but mind you, this is only the first time, and as many of us know sometimes what works once doesn't always work the second time
). A few observations:
(1) The homemade yogurt is great, and it's easy to make even if you don't have a yogurt maker. There are some nice descript
ions here: http://tinyurl.com/c3nw968 I use the the Yogourmet starter (I got it on Amazon; http://tinyurl.com/ctwrk3k), which *does* have sucrose but that's OK because the bacteria will metabolize it in the process.
(2) When on the SCD, I do *not* eat out, not ever, not once. I don't trust anything with "natural flavors" or anything that wasn't actually once growing in the ground or eating stuff growing in the ground or sea.
(3) After about
a month and a half, I was losing too much weight on the SCD, so I started adding back in limited amounts of starches. Still, only things that were 100% ingredients that I know and trust. You'd be amazed at the crap that's in, e.g., sliced bread. Again, basically no eating out, since there's no way to tell what's in restaurant food.
(4) I highly recommend "Recipes for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet" by Raman Prasad.
(5) I also highly recommend Honeyville almond flour. It's good to have this on hand for grain-free breads, tortillas, muffins, etc.
(6) It's also really helpful to take some time to plan before jumping into the diet. Think about
what would be good for different meals and snacks, get the required ingredients, etc.
(7) Finally, be sure to start keeping track of symptoms *before* and *during* the diet. That way, you can really see if it's making a difference. I write down every time I go to the bathroom, what I did in there, and tally it all up at the end of the day. Not sure if either of you have experience with Excel or computer programming, but it's really interesting to plot this sort of data up to see how things are progressing with time.
I also gave myself a month of the diet before I re-evaluated things. At a month, it seemed it was helping so I kept going. Even after I re-introduced some starches, I continued to get better. I'm still doing the yogurt (oh, and I take salmon oil supplements as well, Trader Joe's has good and inexpensive ones).
I hope this is of some help! Best of luck to your husband, I hope he's feeling better again soon.