i read this last week... Well it's because the US charges more for everything other countries get at reasonable prices. I liked the authors example.. like the $100.00 ice pack after Physical Therapy.. It's water in a plastic bag!! The US of F'ing A's.. gotta love the way they run things.
That article totally had me wanting to get out of here even quicker than I had planned. I'm so done here it's not even funny. I'm disgusted with the US and have had enough!
Wow, your bitterness is through roof. Probably, even a North Korean does not hate the US so much.
That being said, I am not US citizen either but have lived in few countries on the top of this world. Every country has its pros and cons. You have to decide what you can live with. Its absolutely fine if you do not like the US system but the bitterness is little too much.
I agree with some of points that the author raises but I think she should have done a little more research. Arguing on these points is certainly way out of the scope of this post but just a couple of points,
- Ice pack used in physical therapy is NOT same as water in plastic bag. There are literally 100s of types of ice packs (I have 5 types in the freezer right now). So if you would like to use frozen water, feel free but do not sue therapist if something goes wrong.
- Some blame goes to the patients as well. Why do you need anesthesia for sigmoidoscopy? Many of the americans do not stand a little pain and the invention of pain scale is most stupid invention ever. I do my sigmoidoscopies without anesthesia (have done more than 30 so far) and that reduces my bill to half (plus, I get to see how the heck it looks inside so that I aware of inflammation inside)
- Rise of money sucking lawyers. Ever wondered about
the advertisements on the TV, got this, you could be entitled for money, billions of dollars are set aside for that and blah blah. This all compounds to higher malpractice insurance costs.
- Big hands in insurance systems. They make boat load of money. This is worst system I have ever seen and the US seriously needs to scrap this system. Probably, this is the only developed nation that uses such system.
- For the drugs, there is average wholesale price calculated by some body and this price is way too high. As I mentioned a few times here, my friend has a pharmacy and we talk a lot about
these issues. He mentioned, if he could get 30% of this price, he will make enough profit but insurance companies and other regulatory bodies make it hard for him to do that so he can not do it for masses otherwise he will be sued. (Because I asked him, if he could set up a system for this forum where those folks with craptastic or no insurance can benefit and he gets a business.)
No, medical arena is not saint at all and I hate them just as much you do but other sections of the society do not get to go without any blame.