Posted 9/9/2013 8:27 PM (GMT -6)
Saw my GI today. I am 7 days into a prednisone course after a failed attempt with Uceris. The only other time I took pred was for the 10 days leading up to the start of the Uceris back in July.
My GI thinks the mesalamines may not be working well for me anymore and has tested me for 6MP, which I am ok to take.
So this is the choice he gave me: start the 6MP now OR see this pred course through to remission and see if that holds, in which case he would not put me on 6MP.
But, if I flare again as I come off the pred or a month later or 6 months later, then I will have to go back on pred to get out of the flare while starting the 6MP.
I'm on the fence, as is my GI. On the one hand I don't want to move onto the next level of drugs if I'm not sure i have to, and on the other hand I feel like the writing is on the wall, it is inevitable I will need the 6MP, so why set myself up for another flare and another course of prednisone?
It's been 15 years since my first flare, and I used to go years between flares, but this is the third flare in three years, each lasting a good 6 months, so clearly things have changed with my UC.