Okay... time for the pills.HOW TO MAKE FECAL PILLS
(the DIY way!)
What you will need EQUIPMENT wise:
- 2 x plastic bags (for rubbish/trash)
- 1 x large ziplock sandwich bag
- 500ml (1 pint) saline solution ($2.50 at pharmacy)
- Small plastic funnel
- Section of gauze (old triangle arm sling that was in my first aid kit)
- 1 x clean plastic container/glass jar
- A spoon (to help strain sample through gauze)
- 50 x 15ml test tubes (Ebay ~ $10)
- Some cups or containers to hold test tubes upright (I used a plastic ice block/icicle maker)
- 30-50 gel caps in three sizes (Size #1, #0, #00) (Again, Ebay. ~$7 for 100 capsule bag)
- 2 x 5ml syringes (50 cents each at pharmacy)
- 1 x long thin scraping tool. I used a chopstick. A wooden cooking skewer could work too.
- 1 x small plastic container or bowel
- A cheap variable speed power drill (Mine is a 1000 watt motor with a top speed of 3000RPM. Cost $40 at hardware store)
- Homemade centrifuge rotor (see following post)
- Plastic or latex gloves (if you want ... being obsessed about
sanitation is weird when you get halfway through the procedure and it dawns on you that getting poo of your fingers is kinda nothing compared to what you are about
to do ... ie, eat it!!!)PROCEDURE
(I did the following in the bathroom):
1. 100 grams (3 ounces?) of donor feces (ask your donor to put it in a plastic takeaway container or something)
2. Turn ziplock bag inside out and pick the feces up, using bag like a glove. Turn bag back to right way. Fecal sample should now be in bag. This process will obviously smell but once sample is in the ziplock bag seal it up.
open a small section of the corner of the ziplock bag up and squirt 500ml of saline solution into the bag. (I used a cheap solution from the pharmacy. Cost $2.50 per 500ml bottle) Save a little of the solution in the bottle - maybe 50ml - because you will need this later.
4. Slowly and carefully expel any excess air in bag. You don't need to be too pedantic about
5. Mash up contents by squishing the poo with your hands!!! Yay!!! In all seriousness, you really need to break the fecal sample down so that the solution becomes murky and horrid! What we're trying to do here is release the bacteria from the fibre.
open up a corner of the ziplock bag and gently pour mashed up solution through our gauze filter/segment and strain mix into glass jar/plastic container (use a rubber band or two to fix to gauze to container). Just pour the solution in. Not the chunky fibre bits. What you should be left with is a jar full of murky saline and a ziplock bag with remnant feces.
7. Seal that sucker up. I mean the ziplock bag. That's the source of most of the smell and once you seal it up you can discard it into a trash bag. Double bag it if you have too. Once done, you will notice how much more pleasant it is to work with fecal matter!
8. Take your jar/container and remove the gauze. Bin the gauze. Hopefully you should have about
500ml (1 pint) of fecal/saline solution in that jar.
9. Transfer the contents of the jar/container into two or three paper cups. (paper cups are best because you can bend the rim into a spout of sorts.
10. Pour the solution from the paper cups through a small plastic funnel into each of your 40 or so test tubes. No need to fill them to the brim, otherwise things will get messy! On the plus side, the saline mix will now have a smell that is not at all offensive in comparison to the early steps!
11. Place the test tubes upright in cups or containers or whatever. Anywhere so they can sit out of harms way while we prepare the next step. Which is...
12. Centrifuge the test tubes
13. Ideally you will have a centrifuge. Of course, few people will because, well ... who the hell has a centrifuge in the cupboard?! I made a centrifuge rotor ... but be warned, there are some issues/dangers. Please see my how-to on this in the next post I put up. Anyway, on with the procedure...
14. Where was I...? Oh, yeah... centrifuge the test tubes. I did four test tubes at a time. I tried to spin them each for a minute or more at a time. Do this a few times or until you can see a definite separation of layers. In other words... stop the spin process and look at the tubes to see if there is any separation. Sometimes I was only able to spin test tubes for a single minute before issues arose. But even those tubes had already shown some separation. What you're looking for is this -- There should be a light brown saline layer on top. This will dominate the contents. Below that will be a tiny (dependant on how long you can centrifuge for) peanut paste-like layer - this is where the bacteria are. And below that, at the base of the tube, will be a darker, sediment layer.
15. Draw off/tip out the supernatant layer (top saline solution). I just tipped it down the vanity sink and washed it away. I couldn't deal with putting it in a separate container etc. I was already anxious enough about
the whole procedure due to some centrifuge mishaps, the excitement at a possible normal life, the fear at never having a normal life, my wife's poo, the test tubes, the self-doubt because I had no idea what the hell I was doing ... the whole unknown!! Anyway, back to the program...
16. Take your skewer/chopstick/scraper tool thing and prepare to retrieve the peanut paste/bacteria layer from each test tube. Squirt in a tiny bit (1 ml) of saline solution and gently stir the peanut paster layer free from the test tube walls. Do not disturb the darker sediment layer on the bottom of the tube. It is worthless. We only want the tiny bit of peanut paste/bacteria layer.
17. Tip out the newly recovered bacteria/saline mix from the test tube into a fresh/clean test tube (let's call this our 'Awesome Sauce'). This will be the tube that we use to fill our capsules at procedure's end.
18. Repeat this centrifuge > Awesome Sauce recovery process until you have filled that entire 15ml test tube with Awesome Sauce.
19. Tip Awesome Sauce into a small container/bowel or sturdy cup.
20. Using a syringe, draw up the Awesome Sauce and methodically fill your capsules. (I filled a #1 gel-cap then immediately over-capsulated it with the #0 and #00 capsules. Then I swallowed it with water. In other words... I made a single capsule and ate it immediately. Repeat this thirty (30) times!
21. Consume the ~25-30 capsules. This should be done over 15 minute period on an empty stomach. I did this first thing in the morning.
NOTE: The whole process took just over three (3) hours. I wish there was an easier way but I suspect the only easier way is doing it with a proper centrifuge rather than a power drill. You can buy cheap Chinese-made centrifuges from Ebay. I have no idea if they are any good.
Feel free to ask any questions... I'll post some pics and centrifuge rotor stuff next.
Post Edited (CoastalChris) : 6/2/2014 7:06:17 PM (GMT-6)