Congrats on your baby.
There's risk in everything, but putting that risk into perspective is key. I've seen one case of non-Hodgkin lymphoma posted on healingwell due to a biologic in the last 4 years. The person discontinued the biologic medication and was able to get his/her lymphoma into remission. During that same timeframe, I've read many discontinuing mesalamine due to intolerance, heart inflammation, blood abnormalities, etc. Any medication has a small amount of risk, usually the odds of benefits far outweigh those risks.
As far as actual odds go. The odds of lymphoma are 6 in 10,000 (or 0.06 percent) compared to 2 in 10,000 ( or 0.02 percent) for the general population. Assuming you're on biologics and immunomodulators simultaneously. Of those who get lymphoma, 66 percent are able to put their lymphoma into remission. The only cases in which it occurred during the initial clinical trials was in adolescence males (2 cases, I believe) who were also on imuran/6mp at that time. So, often gastroenterologists will say to their adolescence male patients, be on either immunomodulators or biologics, but not both concurrently to lower their risks.
To put the odds into perspective, the odds of death by car crash in the US are 1 in 133. The odds of death due to heart complications are 1 in 5. So the odds of biologics causing trouble comparatively are quite low. The Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America is the source for these statistics:
My gastroenterologist said they've never had a case, themselves, within their practice. They have offices in two towns in my state and almost a dozen gastroenterologist specialists.
Thanks to all for the info and support! And thanks iPoop for the statistics...very helpful. Does anyone know anything about
the risk of melanoma? This is something that really worries me.
Somehow, I am really not feeling great about
starting Remicade still. I'm kind of a mess over this decision. I also think that if I went to my doctor with these concerns, he'd have no other options for me.
I would like to try getting off of pred and seeing if the Lialda is enough to hold me in remission even though it wasn't enough during pregnancy. I have basically no symptoms right now, so maybe it's worth a shot.
Have I mentioned that I hate having to even deal with this? darned UC.
Diagnosed with ulcerative proctitis in 2010 and changed to UC in 2014.
Many flares along the way, one hospitalization
Past: prednisone, canasa, anusol, cortifoam, budesonide suppositories, medrol pack
Present: 4 lialda a day, canasa, uceris foam, prednisone (ughhh)