I'd use the rowasa enemas as prescribed. We're all initally a little quesy and anxious about
the idea of using an enema but they're very, very effective and it's results that matter. Its not a big deal, follow the tips below and you'll do fine. Pills aren't good at reaching the rectum, the rectum causes most of our troubling symptoms, the rectum has our most severe and stubborn inflammation, and enemas go right to the rectum and heal fast
(From our resources thread) Tips for using meslamine/rowasa enemas:
- When you first start using enemas, use them in the bathroom very close to a toilet as they can come up very quick and unexpected. As you get better at them, and more confident, you can administer them in bed.
- Add extra Vaseline (petroleum jelly) to the tip of the enema.
- Warm the enema up to body temperature before administering. Put it in a pocket for a while before using, or warm it up under an armpit.
- Squeeze all of the air out of the bottle before administering. You do not want to inject any air into your bowel as it will both be uncomfortable and make it likely you will need to urgently evacuate the enema fluid.
- Lay an old towel down as any drips of the enema fluid can stain clothing, carpet, etc.
- Use one of the positions described in the instructions.
- Administer the enema slowly, too quickly and you will be less successful. If you wish, you can do one half the bottle first, wait a few minutes, and then administer the rest.
- Stay reclined on your left side for about 20 minutes to allow the enema fluid to be absorbed. Retire for the night.
- It takes practice to hold the enema in for 7 hours. Do not get discouraged, and keep trying. Even if you evacuate part of the enema, some will likely remain and heal you. As you heal, it will be easier to retain them for longer lengths of time.
Moderator Ulcerative Colitis
John, 38, in a minor flare, UC Proctosigmoiditis
Rx: Remicade @5mgs/kg/6wks; 50mgs 6MP, 4.8g Lialda, 12mgs pred (tapering)Although our butts are literally behind us, our butts figuratively lead all of our life decisions, if you want UC summed up neatly within a nutshell. Put a crown on that derriere.
Post Edited (iPoop) : 11/16/2016 8:21:21 AM (GMT-7)