Hi everyone, Im back again seeking some advise. I've been in a flare since early September and getting really frustrated. For most of this time I've been on Lialda, Canasa and hc supps. I had a scope done on November 9 which showed mild, distal UC. At that point I was tapering hc supps, after failing to taper once. I was actually feeling better, having no blood, and one formed bm per day, although some bloating. After the scope GI said to stop the hc supps and continue with just Lialda and Canasa. I asked him for Rowasa, but he refused. This seemed odd because the patch of inflammation he found was 30 cm into the sigmoid colon. But maybe he knows something I don't...
I did follow his advise though. After about 12 days of discontinuing hc supps I noticed some symptoms coming back - more bloating, gas, mushy bm once per day. (Around the same time I was trying to add Culturelle and l-glutamine, not sure if it is related). Yesterday, after noticing a marked deterioration, in fear of being really sick over Thanksgiving, I called my GI. Of course, he was out the country! I left a message with his backup, but she never called me back. Last night, in desperation, I decided to try some expired Rowasa I had from some years back. This morning my bm was formed, better than I had in days! I do have good history with Rowasa initially. It helped me very well when first diagnosed. Later on however, I noticed that it would help for first two days I take it and then stop. My question is - should I continue doing Rowasa until my doctor returns? Im scared it will not help for long...
Diagnosed in 2010 - moderate pancolitis
2 year remission since 2014
September 4, 2016 - flare begins, 6 or more bms per day, 40 mg prednisone, hydrocortisone suppositories (stopped Nov. 9)
Scope November 9 showed mild, distal UC.
Current medication: Lialda 4 per day, Canasa, Rowasa?, Enterosgel, Baswellia, Turmeric, B12