Hey all. This is my first ever post in this forum. I have been visiting here a lot but this is the first time I decided to post something and ask for help. I was diagnosed with mild pancolitis last November after suffering 4 awful months waiting to see a GI. My symptoms of 10+ bloody washroom trips and mild abdominal pains started last July, 2 month after I quit smoking cold turkey. My fist scope showed mild inflammation throughout the entire colon and my GI, as a result, put me on 4.2 gr mezavant. I started taking it and I believe it helped my condition. I reduced my trips to the washroom to 1 to 2 times a day with no mid-night rushes. However, every now and then I would see blood in my stool and would experience some pain. I had a recent sigmoidoscopy (two weeks ago) and after that my GI told me your colon is still inflamed and you need to take a round of Prednisone (40mg first two weeks and then taper of 5 mg every week). He also told me your situation is now considered mild to moderate pancolitis. I was really depressed about
the fact that I should start the drug that I have been most afraid of, yet I started it and I felt much better just 4 days after taking it. However, after one week of taking 40mg, when I woke up in the morning I had a very bad abdominal pain and could see blood on the toilet paper :| I called my GI instantly and he told me give it some more time. If it didn't work we need to start Remicade or Entivyo (whichever you choose). I was shocked by that decision. It's been only a few month for me to fight this disease, it's considered mild/moderate and he told me to think about
trying the biologics. I saw some blood again on the toilet paper, today and today is the day that I should start tapering my Prednisone to 35mg for a week. I am totally confused. Is it pretty normal to still see blood and hope to get better when you are tapering Prednisone? Isn't it too soon for thinking about
the biologics? Isn't it correct that if I start Remicade or Entivyo I would minimize my treatment options? If I start the biologics, will they stop working one day?! Darnnnn! So many questions in my mind. I am really hopeless...
~Diagnosed with mild pancolitis November 2016
Now: mild to moderate pancolitis
Current meds: 4.2 gr Mezavant, 35mg Prednisone, 3x 600mg Calcium Carbonate, 1000IU Vitamin D, 500 mg Feramax
Diet: Avoiding gluten, raw fruit (except for banana), lactose, fatty meat.
Post Edited (Navid) : 3/11/2017 5:59:12 AM (GMT-7)