valli, if you've been on Humira since Nov. 24, that's not even 2 weeks. It can take weeks to months for a new biologic to work. They are not giving you enough time. Although, understandably, your condition is severe and so they are trying to help you as much as possible ASAP.
I have had 3 fulminant flares since 2013 and I refused surgery each time. Each time I ended up recovering. I started flaring severely this past July and my flare is just ending now, just as severe as the last time. Doctors threatened me (not asked, threatened) with surgery many times.
You and I both live in Canada. The Canadian public health care system is not just about
helping patients but also about
cutting costs. It costs on average $5,500 per day to keep a UC patient in acute care. Removing your bowel costs them more up front but less over the long term, so it's more cost effective for any given hospital to do bowel surgery. I stayed in the hospital once up to 6 weeks. The longer I stayed there, the more abusive the doctors got toward me and my family. I was sucking up their time and resources and not getting better on their schedule, so they wanted my bowel out. I had to sign myself out of the hospital and go home, in critical condition, in order to avoid involuntary surgery. I then found alternatives that got me better and out of that flare. No flare was as bad as that one. I can manage it better now.
I'm not saying that's their main motivation but it's a major factor. You shouldn't do surgery just because they are refusing to give you more time or explore other options. You should do it because you are actually sick of this disease and you feel it's the best choice for you. I have found healthy recovery with non-surgical alternatives, and like you, my body does not respond to conventional treatment. In hospitals you will always be more pressured because the doctors are looking at cost/benefit analysis to their health care system AS WELL AS your well-being.
Right now I'm on an anti-biotic protocol called AMAT and I'm taking Low Dose Naltrexone. I'm symptom free.
I'm not telling you what to do. You need to make the choice that's best for you, based on your awareness of your own body, the support systems available to you, and realistic self-assessment.
notsosicklygirl is giving you good, compassionate advice. Her surgery went well. Surgeries don't always go that well. There can be complications for a long time, or there can be none. Some people get j-pouches and they're in remission forever, others get them at they have pouchitis forever. So you need to weigh what is more risky to you: continuing in your current condition or having surgery. Only you can decide. It's a lot of pressure and there are a lot of unknowns. Hamilton is near McMaster University so you are in one of the best areas for medical care. That doesn't mean you should give up your right to decide to doctors. Decide FOR YOU not them.
Post Edited (Connor77) : 12/5/2017 7:06:16 PM (GMT-7)