At least you now know what it is, an UC, and it isn't a colon cancer as you had feared.
Yes, we all have an initial eww factor at the thought of retention enemas. However, the results speak for themselves: they're very effective medications that will heal you and improve your quality of life. I'd take them without delay that night after you have picked up your prescript
If you have a cut on your finger would you take a pill for it? No, you apply a topical bandaid to the cut. Same goes with enemas, they go straight to the problem area and are applied topically.
Tips for using meslamine/rowasa enemas:
- When you first start using enemas, use them in the bathroom very close to a toilet as they can come up very quick and unexpected. As you get better at them, and more confident, you can administer them in bed.
- Add extra Vaseline (petroleum jelly) to the tip of the enema.
- Warm the enema up to body temperature before administering. Put it in a pocket for a while before using, or warm it up under an armpit.
- Squeeze all of the air out of the bottle before administering. You do not want to inject any air into your bowel as it will both be uncomfortable and make it likely you will need to urgently evacuate the enema fluid.
- Lay an old towel down as any drips of the enema fluid can stain clothing, carpet, etc.
- Use one of the positions described in the instructions.
- Administer the enema slowly, too quickly and you will be less successful. If you wish, you can do one half the bottle first, wait a few minutes, and then administer the rest.
- Stay reclined on your left side for about 20 minutes to allow the enema fluid to be absorbed. Retire for the night.
- It takes practice to hold the enema in for 7 hours. Do not get discouraged, and keep trying. Even if you evacuate part of the enema, some will likely remain and heal you. As you heal, it will be easier to retain them for longer lengths of time.
Moderator Ulcerative Colitis
John, 39, UC Proctosigmoiditis
Rx: Remicade @5mgs/kg/6wks; daily 75mgs 6MP, 4.8g generic-Lialda, and rowasaDoes the 5-second-rule apply to soup?