I found this in searching, but i'd imagine it varies depending on where you look. I personally would be very uncomfortable doing FT with an unknown donor without a doctor's supervision - not worth getting a disease. Most people here use their long term partner, a parent, their child... FT is a great option, but without proper testing, it is too risky. It also doesn't work for everyone. My GI said some people actually get worse. I've heard the enemas are not as effective as doing it with a scope since it won't travel as far. Can you get into a clinical trial?
Donor Selection and Screening:
- Preferred donor is an intimate, long-time partner of adult patient or, in the case of a pediatric patient, an adult first-degree relative, close family friend, or well screened universal donor.
- For the purposes of informed consent, donors should be over the age of 18. However, children could also potentially serve as donors as long as both parental consent and child assent (i.e., agreement to serve as a donor) are obtained.
- Donor questionnaire should be similar to current protocols for screening blood donors, (see AABB Donor History Questionnaire Documents available at: www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/BloodBloodProducts/ApprovedProd
Donor exclusion criteria should include:
- A history of antibiotic treatment during the preceding 3 months of donation
- A history of intrinsic gastrointestinal illnesses, including inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, gastrointestinal malignancies or major gastrointestinal surgical procedures
- A history of autoimmune or atopic illnesses or ongoing immune modulating therapy
- A history of chronic pain syndromes (fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue) or neurologic, neurodevelopmental disorders
- Metabolic syndrome, obesity (BMI of >30), or moderate-to-severe undernutrition (malnutrition)
- A history of malignant illnesses or ongoing oncologic therapy
Serum Testing (to be performed within 4 weeks of donation):
Stool Testing (to be performed within 4 weeks of donation):
- C. difficile toxin B (preferably by PCR)
- Culture for enteric pathogens
- O+P, if travel history suggests
Moderator: UCCurrently: no meds 6/15 Step 1 J-pouch Surgery Complete 9/15 Step 2 Complete 11/15 Step 3 Complete
From Sickly to UC Free
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish