Posted 6/16/2020 5:25 AM (GMT -6)
Hi folks, here's the rundown.
I was diagnosed with UC when I was 8 years old (now 23). I was in remission until age 20, where I had about a 3-4 month flare, then another 4 month flare the following year (21), then a shorter 1-2 month flare the year after that (22). After the third flare, my doctor had me start canasa suppositories. Though they can be annoying, they've been a miracle drug for me, and left me "flare free" since December of 2018.
It's now June of 2020, and I'm having some weird symptoms. Stomach pain for about a week, low(er) appetite. I had a streak of blood on my stool last week (I have hemmies and it was a pretty large stool so....sorry for tmi but not that surprising), and POSSIBLY a little mucus on Saturday although I'm really not certain, sometimes its hard to tell ya know? I had a colonoscopy less than a month ago, where my doctor said everything looked good and that there was a "small amount" of inflammation but not enough to worry about.
So I call my doctor yesterday expecting him to tell me we should "wait and see," or send me for bloodwork/stool sample. But surprisingly, he calls me and tells me to go back on Uceris, which I've been on before with semi-okay results. I'm agreeable so I said yes, but I can't help but feel upset. I wasnt fully convinced this was a flare but he really didn't even question it (or ask me a ton of questions for that matter).
So my question for all of you is - what do you think? Should I take the meds even if I'm not seeing full fledged flare symptoms? I don't really like being on it since it tends to mess w my sleep cycle. Should I wait a little and evaluate my symptoms? Help! Any thoughts appreciated.