I wish the mods would stop locking threads while conversations are happening. I would PM this if I could but there is no PM function on this forum software.
Van -- I don't hate you. I have no desire to debate you, but I won't let you say nonsense and let it stand without saying something. That's what I mean by checking you. You exaggerate and say things like the only way to really feel safe is to sequester the entire world. That's ridiculous. It's not an all or nothing approach.
You won't "let me", as if you have a choice? It would be nice if you learned that people are entitled to their opinions and you don't have to go on a crusade against everyone who disagrees with you. It's not "non-sense". My position makes sense. You can read it and understand it, so it makes sense. You just don't agree with it, which is a different matter.
Masks DO work. Get a well fitting mask and glasses don't fog. Medical professionals have always worn masks for long hours and they seem to manage just fine. Most times the masks they wear are just to protect their patients. Other times they have to wear N95s for self protection when working with infectious patients. And at times they have to wear even more PPE like face shields. This isn't rocket science. The proof is there if you want to see it. High risk people shouldn't have to walk around in full PPE so they can protect themselves from others who refuse to wear even surgical masks that protects others. They do need to wear high grade masks, but society could make things safer just by wearing simple masks when in public.
Masks have questionable benefit if the entire population uses them, given their deleterious effects on breathing and oxygenate rates, not to mention risk of bacterial infections from dirty masks. There is absolutely no benefit to making children wear them. So in terms of "do masks work" the question is "who do they work for best". You say everyone should achieve a perfect face seal and should wear N95s. We can't provide N95s to everyone. They have to be disposed of every 4 hours when they're soiled, and people have different facial configurations that prevents perfect seals. Some men have facial hair. Some people have small faces, or large faces. Some people have big noses that prevent a perfect seal. You'd know this if you cared to read mask research, or if you had clinical experience with masks.
You can't force society to make huge sacrifices to protect a minority. I'm sorry that "doesn't make sense" to you.
Healthy people are not quarantined unless they have had close contact with someone infected. In the U.S. it's not even mandatory -- it's recommended but no one forces you to stay in your home.
The lockdowns are a widespread quarantine procedure against the healthy.
I do disagree with governments removing all restrictions. I believe it's politics not science that they are doing so.
You say "it's politics" like it's trivial. Human rights matter. I've already stated the reasons why pandemic policy is harmful in my previous posts, so I won't repeat that. If we were dealing with a super deadly virus, it might make sense. Covid19 has a 0.1% death rate among those who get infected, mostly over 65 years old. Covid19 does not kill indiscriminately. We know who it kills, those groups have been identified. People who are at high risk should hide and protect themselves if they want. The rest of society deserves to be free.
I hope that one thing you said is correct -- that Covid is getting milder. Omicron was milder for most but there was still a very high number of deaths ... higher than even the first wave ... and mostly in the unvaccinated. I didn't quote any "science" ... but numbers don't lie. People like to say that there is a 99% chance you will recover from Covid. In the U.S. we have about 400,000,000 people. A 1% death rate means that potentially 4,000,000 million will die from Covid. We're about a quarter of the way there.
It's not a 1% death rate. It's a 0.1% death rate. Take the number of deaths and divide it by the number of cases, in any country, and it's 0.1%. Of course, those numbers could be wrong because of how health systems counted "people who died from covid" vs. "people who died with covid".
You say things and when challenged you evade deflect distract or ignore. Now you are acting the victim and that I am picking on you. KS has posted a link where you had been asked specific questions by another member before and you refused to answer. I myself would be curious of the answers to the questions that were asked.
I'm not acting the victim whatsoever, lol. I'm pointing out that I have no obligation to respond to your interrogations. People like you and KS love to do personal attacks when somebody won't kowtow to your way of seeing. You just can't handle it when someone has a different view than what you think is the "right view".
I don't have to validate my existence to you or KS in order to express my viewpoints. We are all equals here. Besides which, the link KS posted didn't work for some reason. I pasted it into my browser and it didn't lead me anywhere. Even so, there is only so much hostility I'm willing to entertain for the very practical reason that I have better things to do with my time.
I find this forum incredibly hostile most of the time because the mods here seem to allow a particular vanguard of users to run wild, while other people like me get our threads locked and ganged up on. The double standard is obvious and it's why the internet community doesn't take this forum very seriously. Ask any other community anywhere who has heard of HealingWell what they think and you'll find some people who say the same thing. In most of the other communities I'm in, if someone burst into a thread with a trolling call out like KS did in the last thread, they would get a warning / possible suspension.
I don't owe you anything CCinPA. Most of the time I'm just posting my opinion to a thread like anyone else, but when my opinion doesn't match the majority-rule I get call outs from people like you who seem to think it's their personal duty to make sure everybody falls in line, or at least make sure that everybody knows that I'm some sort of crackpot. You have no interest in checking your own ignorance, so what more can I do. I will fight back against character assassination every time, but besides that I couldn't care less if people disagree with me.
Mods... please do a better job of monitoring personal attacks. If you actually audit the fights I've been involved in, 99.9% of the time it's because someone doesn't like my opinion on a subject and decides to attack me personally with ad homs. Then I fight back, and I always will, because I don't sit back and let bullies bully me. I'm a UC patient just like everybody else here. If you did a better job of stopping ad hom and trolling posts, there wouldn't be such disruption.
Nobody here deserves to be hated or assailed with immature attacks on their character because they have alternative views. HealingWell, get your act together. Promote more alternative conversations. Don't protect a vanguard of users just because they are old timers. Treat everyone equally, please.
Post Edited (VanJordan) : 2/23/2022 2:41:03 PM (GMT-7)