It may take Asacol some time to be effective, and you may find that it doesn't help and will have to try other drugs. But for now, try Pepto Bismal. I was just at the Cleveland Clinic this Tues., it's the #2 hospital in the country for IBD. Dr. Bret Lashner suggested Pepto Bismal as one of the easiest things to control a flare-up and urgency problems. Your stool will be black, but he said it's perfectly safe to use a few times daily, even on a long-term basis. So if you want some semblance of your old life back and not constantly have UC on your mind, give it a try for a few days. Good luck and hope you get relief!
- 45 year old; female
- diagnosed with UC in Sept 1991
- appendectomy and 7 years remission
- almost constant flare-ups in past 5 years
- currently on 9 mg Entocort, fish oil--feeling good!
- Lialda started 8/21, 2 pills per day