YAY - Kidney will be ok! YAY - Prednisone too!

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Beth75
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 2148
   Posted 9/6/2007 8:13 AM (GMT -7)   
Never thought I would be happy to take Prednisone, well I am thrilled........probably wont be in the next couple weeks though once I have been taking it for two weeks!
yeah   
Had my Kidney biopsy last Wednesday. Went over the results this am.  My dx is MCD 'Minimal Change Disease'.  The good thing about this is that after 6 mos of prednisone use I have a 70% chance of it being in remission forever.  If I am in the 30% then likely another round of prednisone will do it.  If not then will need to deal with that then.
 
I feel like I have a second chance at life, I was so worried and worked up.  I am going to try to stay positive that the prednisone will put me in remission the first time.
 
The prednisone, may help me w/my flare up too??? 
 
I will be taking 60mg of prednisone a day, starting tomorrow am and also Fosomax (in two weeks to know which symptoms are caused by which drug) to prevent bone density loss.  Then have follow up's monthly and slowly taper the prednisone down over 6 mos.
 
I really can't beleive, it.....I am going to be ok!!!  Well it could turn out to be FSGS, which is not good, but I am going to go with the MCD!
 
I told my husband that I will likely be a beotch for the next 6 months and he was like how is that different? (he was joking = )
 
Thanks Quincy and Zurich, for your support!!
Beth, 31
 
UC Diagnosed March 2000
Lialda 2.4mg 1xday since 8/24/07 (prev. Asacol 4800mg day)
Calcium and Vitamin D 500 mg 2xday
Simvastatin 20 mg 1xday
Diovan 80mg 1xday (dx: hematuria w/proteinuria): I have normal blood pressure, this is for my kidney - waiting for a dx.
 


Beth75
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 2148
   Posted 9/6/2007 8:27 AM (GMT -7)   
Also, I may have gotten this because of a hypersensitive reaction to sulfasalzine.

check out http://www.drugs.com/sfx/sulfasalazine-side-effects.html

My Doc can't say for sure but did not rule it out and it makes sense. I started Sulfasalzine in March 2000 and my ankle swelling I know began within 1 year of then. The ankle swelling is a symptom if Minimal Change Disease.
Beth, 31
 
UC Diagnosed March 2000
Lialda 2.4mg 1xday since 8/24/07 (prev. Asacol 4800mg day)
Calcium and Vitamin D 500 mg 2xday
Simvastatin 20 mg 1xday
Diovan 80mg 1xday (dx: hematuria w/proteinuria): I have normal blood pressure, this is for my kidney - waiting for a dx.
 


Zurich
Regular Member


Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 49
   Posted 9/6/2007 8:36 AM (GMT -7)   
Great News! - Can I have my "good luck dust" back now - I need it!
Zurich

Beth75
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 2148
   Posted 9/6/2007 8:51 AM (GMT -7)   
Zurich, what can I do for you? What is going on?
Beth, 31
 
UC Diagnosed March 2000
Lialda 2.4mg 1xday since 8/24/07 (prev. Asacol 4800mg day)
Calcium and Vitamin D 500 mg 2xday
Simvastatin 20 mg 1xday
Diovan 80mg 1xday (dx: hematuria w/proteinuria): I have normal blood pressure, this is for my kidney - waiting for a dx.
 


quincy
Elite Member


Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 29860
   Posted 9/6/2007 10:53 AM (GMT -7)   
Awesome news Beth...it's the best case scenario for what's going on and what you have to do.

Is your doc taking you off the Sulfasalazine? Maybe he should since you'll be on the 60mg pred for a length of time.
Something to consider.

Yes, it should help your UC...you can revisit the issues of possible flare/withdrawl symptoms when you're tapering the pred.

Beeeotch!?!?!? NEVER!!

Keep us posted as to how things are going. I'll now do some reading on MCD.

It's all scary, but I can relate to the lesser of all the possible evils.

quincy xx
*Heather*Status:mini flare June 23* 6asacol daily+ Salofalk (tapered every 3rd night)
~diagnosed January 1989 UC (proctosigmoiditis)
~5ASA: Asacol + Salofalk enemas (increase for flares tapered to maintenance)
~Bentylol (dicyclomine) 20mg as needed
~vitamins/minerals 
~Probiotic 2 (Natural Factors Protec) + 1 (Primadophilus Reuteri) at bedtime
~Natural Factors Multi Digestive Enzymes with supper
~Ranitidine,Pariet (reflux) Effexor XR 75mg;  Pulmicort/Airomir (asthma)
~URSO for PSC (or PBC) 500mg X 2 daily (LFTs back to NORMAL!!)
My doc's logic.. "TREAT (FROM)BOTH ENDS"  worth it !!!


Zurich
Regular Member


Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 49
   Posted 9/6/2007 11:12 AM (GMT -7)   
Hey Beth,
I'm doing Ok but mom is having surgery today. They are going to re-route her stoma, present one got an abscess, almost did her in. I look at her and wonder what shape my body will be in at 80 years of age, and if it is in her shape, who will take care of me? Just the stress of caring for her is turning me 80. Ok, now can I have my good luck dust back - you didn't loose it did you?
Zurich

quincy
Elite Member


Date Joined May 2003
Total Posts : 29860
   Posted 9/6/2007 11:27 AM (GMT -7)   
Zurich..wow, didn't realise your mom was having such serious problems. Abscesses can be bad for sure. I hope the reroute will be successful to get her infection cleared up.

I worry about when I get old too. I guess what we can do is work on ourselves to keep in fairly good shape and have options available to us for future potential situations.

Try not to focus too much on what could be in your future based on how your mom is doing. You need to retain your strength and look after yourself too.

Keep us posted as to how the surgery went for your mom.

healing wishes sent your way.

quincy
*Heather*Status:mini flare June 23* 6asacol daily+ Salofalk (tapered every 3rd night)
~diagnosed January 1989 UC (proctosigmoiditis)
~5ASA: Asacol + Salofalk enemas (increase for flares tapered to maintenance)
~Bentylol (dicyclomine) 20mg as needed
~vitamins/minerals 
~Probiotic 2 (Natural Factors Protec) + 1 (Primadophilus Reuteri) at bedtime
~Natural Factors Multi Digestive Enzymes with supper
~Ranitidine,Pariet (reflux) Effexor XR 75mg;  Pulmicort/Airomir (asthma)
~URSO for PSC (or PBC) 500mg X 2 daily (LFTs back to NORMAL!!)
My doc's logic.. "TREAT (FROM)BOTH ENDS"  worth it !!!


Beth75
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 2148
   Posted 9/6/2007 11:47 AM (GMT -7)   
Zurich - you and your Mom will be in my thoughts and did not lose the dust! I wonder too, I guess I am going to have to have a lot of kids to take care of me (not the best reason!). Plan for the worst and hope for the best, i'm trying that out. I hope she has a speedy recovery. Is that a good sign that they will do surgery for her at her age? Or is it something that has to be done no matter what?

Quincy - Thanks! I had thought of talking to my GI, I mean why be on Lialda and Prednisone at the same time? You raise a good question. Does Lialda and Sulfasalazine have the same ingredients? Will I keep on giving it to myself again and again?
Beth, 31
UC Diagnosed March 2000
Lialda 2.4mg 1xday since 8/24/07 (prev. Asacol 4800mg day),Calcium and Vit D 500mg 2xday.
Minimal Change Disease (Kidney Disorder) Diagnosed Sept 2007
Prednisone 60mg 1xday, Simvastatin 20 mg 1xday
Diovan 80mg 1xday. May be from hypersensitivty to Sulfasalazine (2000 to 2006), cause unknown.


barbl
Regular Member


Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 320
   Posted 9/6/2007 8:32 PM (GMT -7)   

Beth, so glad to hear you had good news, the thoughts going through your mind must have been pretty tough to deal with sad

60 mgs huh? So you can plan on sleeping some time in February yeah


Dx'D in 1990. Remission 1991 - 1/2005
Fish Oil, Probiotics, Lialda, Caprylic acid
watch my sugar and carb intake
Both flares were in extremely stressful times in my life
Colonoscopy 10/2005 80% of Colon diseased, or as I like to say "Intestinely challenged"

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, December 18, 2017 4:04 AM (GMT -7)
There are a total of 2,906,670 posts in 318,986 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 158325 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, kiumo.
234 Guest(s), 4 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Aset28, testuser1234, Szabo246, Subdenis