After suffering a lot last year and tapering off of Prednisone late in the spring from a nasty flare, ive been for the most part in remission. I do get joint pain from time to time but my levels of inflammation (ESR has gone down from around 95 to 34 since the spring) so all in all better. I just wanted to post that I really think that the probiotics is helping to keep me in remission. I take GoL Primal Defense twice a day. I think after using it for over a year the flora has gotten back to being good. I can eat most anything now, drink occassionally with no problems and see that in remission food has reallly not played much of a role. Of course I do get more d when I eat greasy fried foods but nothing to gripe about compared to the way things were. Luckily dont see any blood since being in remission which is key for me as I was very anemic. I am down to 5 colazal / day and plan to stay at this dose for a long time. For any newcomers would highly recommend staying on your meds no matter what, even if you think you are getting better. Just didnt think I would get this well after being so sick last year and first part of this year. I take it for granted now feeling good most of the time and hope things continue to improve. Just wanted to see what others thought about what is helping to stay in remission and if probiotic is also a part of the strategy. Thanks
- 29 y/o male living in the DC Metropolitan region
- UC diagnosed - April, 2006 - symptoms came on sudden
- GI could not determine type of UC as I was too inflamed during the colonoscopy
- Completed 3rd Prednisone taper on 4/13/07 - Tapered from early January through mid-April after being hospitalized from a bad flare with anemia & severe joint pain.
- Currently in remission
- 6 Colazal/day, 1 Multivitamin, Fish oil, Primal Defense Probiotics 2/day, Iron supplement when bleeding
- Use small dose (5-10mg) of prednisone occassionally to manage joint pain