I'm at the same point, Lew... I have gone back on pred for the 3rd time, & have taken just about
every UC med under the sun, & guess what? I'm still flaring horribly! And have been for the past year. I have 2 big appointments coming up- one with a top-notch GI doctor in Boston, the head of the IBD Dept. at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Professor, one of the top guys in the field. This appt. is for a 2nd opinion- my own GI doc recommended I go talk to him to see if he had any ideas. We've already discussed surgery. And my other big appt. is with a surgeon at the Lahey Clinic for a consult- to go over the surgeries available & discuss them. I'm really excited, to tell you the truth. I feel like I've been pumping meds into me for years to no avail. I don't want to wind up having to have surgery, & not being able to decide who does it, where it's done, & the actual surgical procedure. The rate of colon cancer goes thru the roof with every flare- you gotta figure these year long flares are not doing much good for that rate! And when you take into consideration the fact that about
40% of all UC sufferers wind up having to get surgery anyway, why wait until you are so sick that you absolutely have to get it done? I dunno... yes, it's a VERY hard decision. And a very personal one. But when all is said & done, after all the meds & the tests, & the complicating factors, I've found it to be an easier decision for me to make. Not that I've made it yet, but obviously I'm really leaning towards it. All this time wasted being sick could've been spent healing & dealing with my new body.
Asacol- 8 tabs/day