I was under the impression that prednisone doesn't "heal" you, it just makes the symptoms go away. That's why you take it in conjunction with other meds and then taper when the meds are supposed to kick in.
Anyway, I would push back on your doctor about surgery -- there are some medications out there that you haven't tried such as Colazol, Lialda and Remicade. I'm on entocort, which I like much better than prednisone although both are steroids. If he still insists, get a 2nd and even 3rd opinion. Some doctors are more pro-surgery than others, and I would only go that route if YOU are the one that says "take it out!"
- 45 year old; female
- diagnosed with UC in Sept 1991
- appendectomy and 7 years remission
- almost constant flare-ups in past 5 years
- currently on 9 mg Entocort, fish oil--feeling good!
- Lialda started 8/21, 2 pills per day