I have the book, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall and it really helped me understand why I should avoid certain sugars. It also helped me understand the difference between single molecule sugars (like honey) and many molecule sugars (like white sugar).
I do eat some starches but in smaller quantities than before. I recommend avoiding almost anything that contains sugar, at least for a week or two to see if you feel better.
I AVOID THINGS LIKE:
01. Milk Shakes
03. Fruit Punch
05. Candy (even those that say "sugar free")
06. Most canned goods (because they contain sugar)
07. Cereal (they are packed with sugar)
08. Yogurt (because most contain sugar)
12. Soy Milk (because some contain evaporated cane juice)
13. Maple Sugar (I use honey instead)
14. Ketchup (it contains sugar; if you must use it...use less)
15. Energy Drinks (most are packed with sugar)
HOWEVER, I DO CONSUME THINGS LIKE:
01. Scramble Eggs and organic turkey sausages
02. Coconut cookies (I posted the recipe here a while ago)
03. Apple Cider or 100% Apple Juice (Motts, Minute Maid, etc.)
04. Spaghetti or Rice (but in smaller quantities)
05. Fruits (but not too often)
06. Vegetables (but no corn)
07. Tea (I like herbal tea)
08. Honey (I use it in my tea, etc.)
09. Lots of Water.
I really hope this helps, if it does you should begin to see results within a week...but you must be diligent.
Anything that contains sugar, corn syrup, evaporated cane juice should be avoided.
Diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis January 2007