I had just been diagnosed with UC and didn't know much about
it (back in 1993). I had just started taking Pentasa and was only on it for a few days when I had appendicitis. My appendix burst, and let me tell you that s painful!! After I had it out, the UC stopped, I stopped taking any medicine and went on for seven years without a recurrence. However, I've had flares on and off now for the past five years, but never any bleeding until this last one. So yes, you can have UC even if you've had your appendix out, but maybe there's less of a chance of UC occurring for the first time if a person has had their appendix out.
- 45 year old; female
- diagnosed with UC in Sept 1991
- appendectomy and 7 years remission
- almost constant flare-ups in past 5 years
- currently on 9 mg Entocort, fish oil--feeling good!
- Lialda started 8/21, 2 pills per day