I had horrible arthritis in various parts of my body, especially the knees, wrists, neck and ankles. It came on last fall after being in a flare all summer that was out of control. At times I could hardly move it was so bad. I have now been in remission for several months now and seem to get stronger with time. I have noticed that as I have gotten better with the UC the arthritis seems to have for the most part gone away although there was some lag time so it was hard to correlate the IBD symptoms with the arthritis. I thought I would have it forever as it was really bad through the winter and up through this spring but it has gone away with the UC symptoms. I'm hoping this lasts for a good while! What I found out when I had it is that as others have said it is a potential symptom that comes along with UC. It seems the inflammation in the gut sparks inflammation in other areas of the body.
- 29 y/o male living in the DC Metropolitan region
- UC diagnosed - April, 2006 - symptoms came on sudden
- GI could not determine type of UC as I was too inflamed during the colonoscopy
- Completed 3rd Prednisone taper on 4/13/07 - Tapered from early January through mid-April after being hospitalized from a bad flare with anemia & severe joint pain.
- Currently in remission
- 6 Colazal/day, 1 Multivitamin, Fish oil, Primal Defense Probiotics 2/day, Iron supplement when bleeding
- Use small dose (5-10mg) of prednisone occassionally to manage joint pain