When to seek a second opinion and how to go about it

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Jul 2007
Total Posts : 66
   Posted 10/24/2007 11:41 AM (GMT -6)   
I just got off the phone with a friend in another state who is a breast cancer survivor. Her take-charge attitude is an inspiration to me. I was sharing with her the fact that I can't get my UC symptoms under control and she asked me if I had ever gotten a second opinion. I really like my GI doc and hadn't even considered the possibility. She suggested I try someone at the Cleveland Clinic - we are only 3 hours away. Do any of you ever get 2nd opinions and if so, how do you go about doing it? Do you get your records from your current GI? Would it be worth my while to go to the Clinic? Is there a specific doctor I should ask for? Thanks in advance for your advice!
left-sided colitis diagnosed after 3rd pregnancy 11 years ago: was in remission for 5 years
Current UC Meds:  12 Asacol per day
                          1 Rowasa enema at night
Other Meds:  Lipitor, Multi-vitamin, asadophilus, cinnamon capsules
In a flare since the middle of April

Veteran Member

Date Joined Jan 2007
Total Posts : 1015
   Posted 10/24/2007 12:31 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi Annie, a second opinion is always a good idea. Espeically if you can't get your symptoms under control. The cleveland clinic is a great place. I know that many here have had good experiences there, i'm sure they will chime in with some names. I would get a copy of your records anyway, its not hard and you have them just in case. Call your Gi or ask at your next app and they will give you the forms to fill out and then they can get you what you need. If you don't want to leave your current doc you can always go back to them with the info the second opinion gave you and discuss it. A good doc will look into it for you.
Kelly, 29

Left sided UC diagnosed 1/98 age 19, Pan colitis diagnosed 1/07
Currently on 4x3 Asacol, Rowasa every other night, 15 mg pred. until immuran kicks in...
75mg Imuran starting 8/23/07---bumped to 100mg 10/8/07
Prontonix once daily for acid reflux, zofran twice daily for nausea

Old Hat
Veteran Member

Date Joined Feb 2007
Total Posts : 5187
   Posted 10/24/2007 5:26 PM (GMT -6)   
I think a member in or near Cleveland wrote terrific comments to another thread here-- recommending GI Dr. Bo Shen. Maybe that person will read this & give you further details. On 2nd opinions: I HAD to go after that because my UC became unmanageable ca. 12 yrs after diagnosis. My 1st gastro got very put-out because I pursued the opinion of a gastro registered with CCFA! So-- I decided to go with the new gastro because I needed a doctor experienced with IBD treatment. The 1st one was a generalist who attributed most problems to the gall bladder. Good luck with your search! / Old Hat (nearly 30 yrs with left-sided UC; currently on 3 Colazal daily; seem to be back in remission)
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Friday, August 17, 2018 1:33 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 2,993,754 posts in 328,071 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161243 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Rana258.
293 Guest(s), 16 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
mattamx, PeterDisAbelard., teddy9, Hoagie, Scaredy Cat, 142, BillyBob@388, RobLee, ejc61, LJohn23, nakamura1967, cppoly, insomniaaa, borborygmi, straydog, iPoop