In my limited experience, I think it is too soon to be thinking about
having the colon removed. It seems you are still trying to find the right combo of meds. Are you on a maintenance med such as Colazal? I had my first really bad flare last spring and within the past few months (several months later) am now feeling almost "back to normal." I would keep experimenting with the meds to find what works for you. If you are still experiencing bleeding, IMO, you might ask to increase the prednisone dose to get to a point where the bleeding subsides. I was on 40 mg for a few weeks, then down to 35 mg, then 30 etc. If the inflammation is bad you may consider slowly tapering the dose so the colon heals better. With the prednisone, I believe you also need a maintenance med like Colazal or Asacol. All of this is based on my experience as this disease seems to be personal and what works for one may not for another. Stay positive, sometimes the change will take a lot of time but with the right conditions healing should occur.
- 29 y/o single IT professional male residing in Northern VA, USA
- UC Diagnosis - April, 2006 - Symptoms were sudden and drastic
- GI did not determine type of UC as I was too inflamed during the c-scope
- Completed 3rd Prednisone taper on 4/13/07 - Tapered from early January through mid-April after being hospitalized from a bad flare with anemia & severe joint pain.
- Currently in remission and enjoying life again since getting out of the hospital in early Jan 07' from a nasty flare
- Survive on 4 Colazal/day, 1 GNC Multivitamin, occassional Fish oil & Primal Defense Probiotics
- Enjoy the outdoors, relaxing and spending time with family and friends