I've been really suffering lately and thought it was just the UC. Last time I went to my GI he kept telling me my headaches and extreme fatigue were probably due to stress and depression. Well, I kind of snapped and was like, the only thing causing me stress and depression at the moment is being too darn sick and tired to work as much as I need to make enough money to cover my daughter's medical expenses!
He sent me to the lab for extensive bloodwork and results came back that I am anemic. I looked up the symptoms and most of my worse symptoms at the moment are due to the lack of iron. As soon as we can get my insurance to approve it he is ordering me to have iron injections once a week for five weeks. In the mean time I started OTC supplements. I've been EXTREMELY fatigued and having really unbearable headaches, as much as I run the bathroom and have urges to go a lot, once I get there it's mostly "bloody fart," so I am constipated, I thought my loss of appetite was the UC, but it's the anemia -- I've recently lost about 20 lbs ... I have most of the en symptoms listed below. I am glad it's an easy fix, just waiting to get the iron and upset it took so long to find out it's as simple as that!
Symptoms of anemia:
1. Pale skin tone. Even dark complected people -- lips may be pale and skin may appear "washed out."
2. Fatigued or irritable all of the time. These are common symptoms of anemia.
3. Frequent headaches or loss of appetite. These are usually early signs of anemia.
4. Constipation - also an early symptom, and may occur without any change in dietary habits.
5. Difficulty concentrating. This can affect work and/or school performance.
6. Craving unusual foods. This is called pica, and you may find yourself craving very bizarre non-foods, such as soil and paper.
7. Anemia can bring on feelings of depression.
8. Shortness of breath. Red blood cells are a vital part of the respiratory process, and this symptom may occur when anemia is moderate to severe.
9. Sense of coldness in extremities. This may be caused by poor circulation as a result of anemia.
10. Feeling weak and/or dizzy. In severe cases, you may feel too weak to get out of bed, and dizzy when you do get up.