I have been feeling so awful. Found out I was anemic some time back but my insurer really dragged its feet okaying the full treatment course. I finally begin getting the injections tomorrow morning; once a week for five weeks.
Last Monday I had to call my husband to come get me and my grooming van and drive home as I nearly fainted after I brought my first groomed dog back inside to its owner. This past Wednesday I was at my GI and we were still waiting on the iron injection pre-authorization and discussing options when he left the office for a bit and I fell asleep! He suggested I pop back up to 40 mg of Pred for a few days and see how it goes. So Thursday morning I took the 40 mg and within a few hours I felt better than I had in weeks. Can it do that so fast? Still bleeding and lots of urgency, but still not much "production" (anemia makes you constipated, with UC you're never completely poopless, but it's uncomfortable for sure). The daily pounding headaches stopped and the fatigue lifted a bit, I can also eat again after losing about 20 lbs in two months.
So far it seems the only thing that has been able to give me any relief is the Prednisone, and obviously I cannot stay on it much longer. GI recommends surgery, but for several reasons I can't do it for quite some time. My daughter, who turns 18 in the spring, is in a residential treatment center 50 miles away. Most of the cost is covered by Medicaid, but we need to still pick up $1,350 a month, obviously not a good time to shut down my business while I recover and then have to build it back up because I will no doubt lose some clients to other groomers in the area. We do have some money behind us, we're not going paycheck-to-paycheck, so that's not the big issue, the major issue stopping me from the surgery now is if I am in the hospital I can't participate on her therapy which is once a week, visitations and the treatment meetings. Even while trying to keep up my work schedule I am back and forth to the place two or three times per week (oh yeah, in an 18 year old car yet!).
I also think that the whole stress of the situation may have a lot to do with the persistence of the flare up so I'd like to get through this issue with my daughter (if it ever will end!) and get that behind me and see what happens before resorting to something as permanent as colon removal.
What is considered the maximum length of time one can be on Prednisone?
Diagnosed UC April 27, 2006
Remicade: 1st infusion 7/21/07; 2nd infusion 8/18/07; 3rd infusion 10/13/07
Lialda, 4 tabs in the morning; Protonix; Prednisone 4/27/06-present, was almost off back to 40 mg; 9 mg Entocourt EC; Xanax as needd; Lexipro,
Rowesa; Asacol; Colazal three 750 mg capsules 3X day;
[2/22/07 started Imuran, off within two weeks due to bad reaction]