WEll, I also am in the process of considering surgery. I just had my consult with a general surgeon. My GI doc told me that he's had patients that wished they got the surgery earlier then they did, and he's had patients that wished they held onto their colon longer, then went on to say, that no one can really tell ya what to do, it's ideally up to you. The general surgeon reviewed my history pretty thoroughly, and his recommendation was to get the surgery, and his reasonings were as follows:
1. My age. He said that because I"m so young, that with every year of having UC, my risk of getting colon cancer increases. (No colon = no colon cancer!)
2. My diabetes. The chronic inflammation of UC will increase blood sugars, and with already having Diabetes, don't need the increase in blood sugars.
3. My options for med therapy is limited. I have already tried so many UC meds, and the fact that they haven't been controlling the flares or I've not tolerated well with adverse reactions, that surgery would be indicated.
4. the biopsy results from my flex sig in the hospital. It was showing possible dysplasia. (altho, they did favor it being reactive changes)
5. The fact that I"m proving to be prednisone-dependant. The steroids are very bad on your whole body, so it would benefit me to not have to take the darn stuff anymore
Also, my GI doc said that I most likely would be able to get off all the UC meds I'm on...that in itself is such a nice thought. Some of these meds are scaring the hec out of me. They sound to be so bad for your body and have there own risk of cancer. Anyways, this decision has really been occupying my mind!! The surgeon is now referring me to a colo-rectal surgeon that does the procedure laparoscopically. So, we'll see where this takes me! I hope everyone else is able to arrive at the best decision for them! Good luck you all!!