Posted 12/11/2007 9:43 AM (GMT -6)
Since my Mom passed away, I have learned of "Stages of Mourning" and was thinking there are kind of stages of UC. I am going to make one up based on my experience. I wonder if you all have been through these things at some point? It probably differs greatly based on if you have been on remission or not, how severe your symptoms, and what your entire outlook is.
1. Confusion and fear- When first diagnosed and never heard of UC before. What is going to happen to me?
2. Hope and denial- Feeling that " I can beat this, it's not going to get to me" wearing myself out pretending I am fine
3. Acceptance- When I started taking aggressive meds to fight the UC
4. Disappointment- When the meds don't work and the side effects were tremendous
5. Anger and doubt- Of the medical community when treatments don't work/cause other health problems
6. Frustration- start seriously considering surgery
7. Defying the doctors- Trying to fix myself naturally, stopping my meds and doc visits
8. Desperation- With health reaching an all-time low, I returned to the doctors
9. Search for answers- when I started researching diets, meds, treatments, wanting to learn everything I could about this disease
10. Hope- This new med will do the trick!
11. Frustration and confusion- Is the med working or not? Am I in danger of dangerous side effects?
12. Hope- In spite of everything, there is still hope. Hope for a cure! Hope that something will work finally!
Diagnosed with Left-sided Ulcerative Colitis 1995 at 15
Tried: Prednisone, Rowasa & Hydrocortisone Enemas, Proctofoam, Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Probiotics, Fish Oil, Canasa, Enotcourt, Colazol, Proctocort, Anamantle...
Diagnosed with Ulcerative Proctitis with rectal fistula in 2004, put on Remicade
2007:Increased Remicade dosage-660mg every 6 weeks,diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis & Fibromyalgia
Current meds: Remicade 660mgs every 6 wks, Lomotil, Tramadol, Darvocet, Clorazepate, new meds I am about to start: Prograf, Cymbalta, Lyrica