Happy Day to all! I have a rather "strange" update regarding my recovery. I call it strange because I still don't understand it.
I went to work for 3 days this week, Mon-Wed. I was feeling fantastic! My energy level was back to normal, my heart rate did not fluctuate at all while I was at work; if it did I did not feel it! As I had explained in my previous posts, sometimes it would go down to the 40's and then come back up to the 160s-180s for a few seconds until it returned back to normal. But, this did not happen at all while at was at work Mon-Wed. Needless to say, this made me feel so good and so optimistic about my life - I am starting to feel normal and therefore my life is slowly but surely returning to normal!
Wednesday I left work a little early and on my way home ran a couple of easy errands (bought a subway for my son and picked up a pair of pants at the dry cleaners). I did notice that both times, as I got out of the car, my heart started racing to the 160s and 170s. I thought it seemed unusual and continued monitoring but did not think it was a big deal.
I got home, gave my son his sandwich and I ate some crackers, humus and low-fat cheese pieces as a light dinner (in preparation for the Xgiving feast the next day!). I sat in front of the TV to watch the news while I ate. This is my routine. My drive to/from work is only 10-15 minutes, so I usually get home, eat a light dinner while watching the news as part of my "unwinding" routine. I am an information junkie, so this is my time to find out what is happening locally and around the world. I am used to listening to good and bad news (mostly bad!) as I eat after a long day at work. I am also used to eating humus which has lots of garlic and garbanzo beans. I say all of this because I still don't understand what happened next...
Unexpectedly, out of the blue, as I was sitting on the couch, enjoying my meal and watching the developing news of the terror attacks in India, my heart started racing to the 160's and 170's. It startled me but I thought it would go down in a few seconds. It didn't. It was about 5:30PM. I finished eating, got up and noticed my heart was racing in the 180s and 190s when I was walking about and doing little tasks like washing dishes.
I did not panic and did not have anxiety for those people/doctors who might want to think this was panic or anxiety driven! I calmly went to lie down and relax, turned on my laptop and the TV in my room. I continued to watch news and be on my laptop just looking at my personal e-mails all while lying down in bed. My heart rate was fluctuating between the 160s and low 100s (but it was mostly in the 160s and 170s even while lying down).
I won't bore with more details. Suffice it to say that my heart rate stayed above 100 for almost 4 hours!!! Any time I got up and moved around it went above 200! I tried many different things. I have natural calming pills, Kava Kava, and I popped a couple of those, I have a few Xanax that my mom has given me in case of emergencies (she gets them prescribed to her) and I took 1/2 during the first hour of the incident and then 1 full pill about 2 hrs. into it - nothing. I took lots of aspirin in case I was about to have a heart attack to make sure my blood was thin (I had already taken my baby aspirin and Plavix earlier). Nothing was working! After almost 4 hours, at 9:25PM, I gave it one last try with the deep breathing exercises which I had tried earlier in vain. I turned everything off and lay still for about 5 minutes, breathing in and out deeply and taking equal breaths while inhaling and exhaling. After 4 HOURS this finally worked (and also probably a combination of everything else I had taken). Or maybe my heart just got tired.
What happened? I have no idea!!! Although I did not consciously feel tired, maybe my heart and body were tired? Maybe it was a combination of work, the food, and the bad news on TV? It's one those many questions and events I'll never be able to answer or figure out, but I wanted to share this with everyone in case any of you ever have similar symptoms.
By the way, I DO NOT RECOMMEND WAITING SO LONG before seeking treatment. 4 hrs. was my cut off time - I was going to call the paramedics to take me to the hospital if my condition did not subside after 4 hrs. And the whole time I had my 2 phones (cell and home) on me in case I needed to call right away. My sister and my partner were also aware of what was going on even though they were physically not here.
The only reason why I did not panic and waited so long is because I have run and trained for marathons, so my heart is used to working at high levels of aerobic intensity for extended periods of time. Otherwise, I would have called 911 and gotten to the hospital soon! Thankfully, I did not need to go, by like I said, I do not recommend anyone wait that long before seeking treatment. I was even questioning my own wisdom at waiting so long, but luckily, my heart was able to get back to normal. And I did not have to spend part or all of the Thanksgiving holiday in the hospital!
Since that Wednesday evening, my heart has been completely normal again. As you can imagine, I was tired after the incident and went to sleep soon afterward. I woke up Thurs., Xgiving day, feeling like new and as if nothing had happened. My heart has not fluctuated at all since. Today is Friday and it's been 5 weeks since my procedure. I feel wonderful!!!
I'm sorry this e-mail is so long, but I just wanted to share this important experience in my recovery process with anyone who might be interested.