Posted 8/28/2009 12:16 AM (GMT -6)
Yesterday my 40 yr old husband went to his family doctor for severe pain in his legs. Before the day was up we were rushed to three different kind of doctors, and were told he'd need this aortic bi-fem bypass surgery asap. But first he needed a stress test by a cardiologist to insure his heart was up to this operation. The doctor was insistant that we get the stress test done today (which we did) because this is a serious situation and I what I got from it is a sense of urgency you know? His nurse gave me her direct line and said let her know asap when we were done with the cardiologist.
But when I did call I was told by some appointment lady that I couldn't see the surgeon until next wednesday and that it would be for a physical only.
My question is.....after yesterdays urgency vibes I got from all the doctors and being told my husband has 100% occlusion in arteries that carry blood to both his legs, to today being told it's going to be a week before I see the same doctor who just yesterday was practically drooling with anticipation of slicing open my husband.
Would it be normal to wait another week with the severity of his blockages? Or is the appointment lady off her rocker?
I mean...is 100% occlusion, with no pulses in either lower leg an urgent situation or not?
We are afraid his feet are going to die before next week. His legs from the knees down are cold, white, and numb. And for the past two days these ugly purple patches are appearing on them and the patches are getting bigger.
Or am I being hysterical, and this is a typical waiting period?
I don't want to call them up and make a arse of myself but I feel like we are being jerked around.