Posted 12/24/2009 6:31 AM (GMT -6)
If any of you are suffering with PVCs AND have stomach problems give the following regime a try which has worked wonders for me. I am not a physician and this is just a regime which has worked for me when nothing else did (supplements - i've tried them all believe me - they had no effect whatsoever)
In less than a week my PVCs (constant now for 3 months and intermittent for the last 5 years) dropped from approx 15,000 a day (and driving me mad !) to virtually nil.
I have pooled together various advice from different forums relating to the theory that an irritated Vagus Nerve caused by stomach acid i.e. GERD / regurgitation also irritates the heart and causes the PVCs. The vagus nerve runs down the throat and has serious effects on both the stomach and heart when irritated.
1. Cut down (or preferably stop) caffeine intake. I have 1 cup of tea a day.
2. Do not eat chocolate *especially not after meals* as it affects function of the L.E.S. (the valve which prevents stomach contents coming back up the throat - it also over stimulates stomach acid production) - this was a big ask for me but was worth it !
3. Avoid fluids after large meals for a couple of hours (this will always give me GERD and PVCs).
4. DO NOT lie flat at any time (this is very important) - prop up your pillows or raise the head of your bed to prevent nocturnal reflux.
5. Take a decent swig of GAVISCON at bedtime this will coat the throat and help prevent overnight GERD damaging the throat and those morning PVC attacks. Also do the same if you suffer any GERD or throat discomfort after meals.
6. Take a good magnesium supplement (i take magnesium malate 400mg a day) not sure if this helped me but can't do any harm.
7. Some forums also advise taking a daily PPI pill (such as omeprazole) or at least a Ranitidine as well - you can try this but i have not found it necessary.
The aim of all this is to give the throat and irritated Vagus nerve time to heal - and hey presto - no PVCs hopefully !
Try this for a week or two and let me know if it helps anyone....
Good Luck and Happy Xmas !