Posted 10/22/2010 6:45 AM (GMT -7)
(This message is cross-posted in both Heart & Cardiovascuar Disease and Allergies & Asthma.)
I just spent 24 hours wearing a holter monitor, a portable heart test device for those who don't know. I seem to have had an allergic reaction to something in the electrodes that were attached to my skin, but I'm not 100% sure.
When the technician first attached the electrodes, they stung and burned, with a little itching. This continued but decreased over the next 1-1.5 hours. This morning when I removed them, the places where the electrodes - or rather the gel on them - touched my skin were red. The rest of the area, including where the adhesive had been, was fine.
Anyone in either forum ever have a reaction like this?
The technician asked me - belatedly - if I was allergic to nickel, claiming that the gel contained it, but the package doesn't say; it does list silver, though. I have a call in to the company that makes them to find out for sure. I didn't think I was allergic to either metal. For the allergy folks, does this sound like your symptoms of a metal allergy?
Of course, if it ends up being silver allergy, the dentist gets involved next, as I have the old-style metal fillings in my teeth, and they contain silver.
I seem to be developing or discovering new sensitivities every few months, and it's really getting me down. I never know what's allergen-safe any more. :(