Factor V Leiden is a common inherited genetic disorder that can increase your chance of developing abnormal blood clots (thrombophilia), usually in your veins.
I have this genetic disorder as well as my daughter and one of my granddaughters. You may want to talk to a geneticist as I did and I came away feeling much better and hardly ever think of the disorder anymore.
There are many things you can do to avoid getting blood clots.
- Avoid standing or sitting in the same position for long periods of time.
- When travelling long distances it is important to exercise regularly – the blood must not 'stand still'.
- Being overweight or smoking will greatly increase the risk of blood clots.
- Women carrying the Factor V Leiden gene should not take the contraceptive pill because this will significantly increase the chance of getting thrombosis.
- Women carrying the Factor V Leiden gene should also consult their doctor before becoming pregnant as this can also increase the risk of thrombosis.
These are the main points my Dr. shared with me . Please remember I am not a Dr. and this is my own personal understanding of Factor V Leiden.
I wish you peace,