Stroke Plus PFO - Next Step

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

NJ PFO Person
New Member

Date Joined Jul 2013
Total Posts : 1
   Posted 7/8/2013 4:38 PM (GMT -6)   
Hello all, I am a new member and looking for advice.

A week ago I had a stroke (at age 46), due to a blood clot in my MCA. Complete paralysis on my left side. I have since regained motion and sensation, etc. and I am doing well. I am healthy, exercise, have cholesteral of 130 and no other conditions which would pre-dispose me to a stroke.

A TEE was done, which found a large PFO (all the bubbles shunted across to the other atrium).
The physicians theorize that I had a DVT that shunted across my atrium and went up to the brain.

At this point, my cardiologist recommends that I follow up with a stroke expert, others are claiming I should see a cardiac surgeon. I am not sure what is the next step and would like advice from anyone else here. It is my understanding that I will need to decide between Surgery and/or a drug regiment.

From my review online, it appears that there is no clear cut answer as to which is better - closing the hole or proceeding with drug therapy. I'd love to hear what people in my situation have chosen, and why.

Finally, I am in north jersey and NYC is easy for me to get to. IF anyone has a recommendation for a doctor, I would greatly appreciate it.


Elite Member

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 32602
   Posted 7/12/2013 6:14 PM (GMT -6)   
Hello and welcome to HealingWell.  I am not a physician but I did have a probable TIA 6 years ago and my TEE was clear - no PFO.
What I am reading in your post is that you experienced a blood clot in the middle cerebral atrium that is now thought to be from a large PFO found on your TEE and is most likely the cause of your stroke.  From what little I know,  other problems must be excluded before blaming the neurologic event on a paradoxical embolism through a PFO. 
This is where answering your question is hard as each person in unique and Drs. can have varied opinions with both of them being correct.
I believe your best bet may be finding a hospital that has a department that deals with Neurocardiology  - and if that is not something you have access to than look to the best hospitals in your area that has a cardiac and a neurology department.
Please remember I am not a physician and the advise given here in the forum should never take the place of your Physician.
I wish you the very best,
Moderator: Anxiety, Osteoarthritis,
GERD/Heartburn and Heart/Cardiovascular Disease.

"The wind blows, the sun rises, the snow falls and the ocean relentlessly pounds the shore. Life rolls on with fresh new possibilities at every turn."
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Sunday, August 19, 2018 11:58 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 2,994,376 posts in 328,124 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161275 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, ANG100.
242 Guest(s), 8 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
mattamx, Kent M., Dimitri71, Michael_T, Girlie, InTheShop, quincy, borborygmi