Posted 1/28/2006 4:49 AM (GMT -7)
Hello dreamgirl, thanks for replying.
Not sure what system of scoring you use in the US for calcification. Over here 400+ is high, going down to 20-ish for insignificant.
My score was 4000+, which shocked the docs. doing the tests.
400+ recommends aggressive management of all other risk factors, which we are addressing. No, no angiograms yet. I am seeing a cardiologist in a couple of weeks, and he'll send me for such tests if necessary.
But as Erskine James says elsewhere on this site, calcification scores are not the gold standard for prediction of heart disease, but just another thing to watch.
I'm not complacent, by any means, but my <2% chance of a serious heart 'event' has to be seen in context of my >98% chance of NOT having one! Unless I'm misreading the statistics, which might well be the case. (Rose-tinted spectacles are issued free in the UK).