My little brother (35) seems to have a recurring bout of Endocarditis. After days of tests in hospital which mostly came back inconclusive he finally had a TEE which revealed a 1.1cm lesion on his Aortic valve which is where his Endo took hold last year because of heart murmour there. After 6 weeks IV back then we thought the infection was gone for good only to seemingly come back now. I say seemingly as the Drs. are apparently scratching their heads. My bro has been released with oral antibiotics for cellulitis which has appeared on his foot (unrelated apparently but who knows!?). Took last of them coupla days ago and now his other symptoms are back. Night sweats, fatigue, groin lymphs up etc.
Has appt. to go back to hospital on Friday to discuss outcome of conference specialists had re where to go next; valve replacement or maybe scraping valve to culture growth first. He is a jockey so metallic valve would be disasterous. Cardios have said there is possibility for some kind of metal/tissue hybrid? We are becoming increasingly frustrated as this will be second 4hr roundtrip back for answers. He went back last week only to be checked out by an infectious disease LOCUM who knew nothing about his case, so none of us are holding our breath that it will be sorted out this time. We keep getting lots of un-backed up guarantees.
I am wondering if anyone out there has been in similar situation and what to expect. I think I am most concerned that something will happen or damage is worsening (ie: lesion growth) before Drs. get onto this. My bro. has had several Grand Mal seizures since all this began. He was diagnosed with epilepsy but now the Nuero seems to think they are heart related. Has anyone ever experienced this as a side effect? Hoping some one can help!
Cheers, Sharon (from Tassie)