Posted 7/20/2022 11:43 AM (GMT -8)
I am 78, male and have multiple health problems including asthma, COPD, diabetes, Barrett’s oesophagus, and osteoporosis. The most life threatening condition, however, is rapid resentosis in coronary artery stents.
The first stents were inserted in November 2020, and restenosis started in December of that year. Further stenting was done in February 2021, followed by insertion of a TAVI. Again restenosis started within two months, and by June 2021, there was 90% blockage. This time, the stents were straightened and scraped but no new stents were added and this significantly improved my condition. However, they told me at that time, that they would not be able the repeat what was a “very tricky procedure” because of the presence of the TAVI. I got about 8 months of reasonable health following this, but now I am as bad, or worse than i was in June of last year. I have had a private appointment with the doctor who did the “”tricky PCI” work, and he has agreed to have another go. He has put me on the NHS waiting list and also said that he can do the procedure privately. However, he is on holiday until two weeks time.
I am on almost maximum isosorbides, and also Ranexa, but am getting worse by the day. I have angina attacks several times a day. I try to avoid using GTN sprays unless these do not clear fairly quickly, as I understand that the effectiveness of these reduces, the greater the usage. I can walk only very short distances. I feel very ill much of the time.
My only option, other than suffering at home, and possibly dying of a heart attack is to call 999, but this is not very appealing, with likely waits of several hours before arrival, possibly 12 hours or more in the ambulance outside hospital and/or similar times lying on a trolley in a corridor, several days waiting for a bed in a cardiac ward, and then it is not clear to me what can be done to relieve my symptoms while waiting for the PCI procedure. (my very limited lung function precludes open heart surgery)
Even if I can get to talk to my GP which is diificult if not impossible, I don’t see that there is anything they can do.
My practical advice question is whether I should use the GTN sprays anytime the angina occurs, or should I continue to delay until the pain is very severe and not going away?
I also wonder what other people would do in my circumstances – stay at home and wait either for an appointment for the PCI procedure, or die first, ro else call 999 next tiem I get a bad angina attack.