New Guy Needing Some Feedback

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Steve n Dallas
Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 4849
   Posted 5/15/2009 7:42 AM (GMT -6)   

Howdy…I’ve tipped toed over from the prostate cancer forum. I’m doing my homework/research before seeking medical attention and thought I’d try to get some feedback from you nice guys and gals.


I’m 54 years old,  5’11” and weigh 210lbs. That means I’m a good 20 pound over weight  - most of the excess is in my gut – aka beer belly. I’m also a smoker.


I have a LONG time history of heartburn. I’ve done the upper GI test three times and the lower GI test twice. (all over 15 years ago) Was basically told I don’t have an ulcer per se, but that I had “pits” which caused the heartburn symptoms. Heartburn really hasn’t been a problem for the past few years. BUT, and there’s always a but:


My question/issue – for the last several months, after swallowing the first couple bites of dinner I get a pretty noticeable dull pain that shoots up from my belly all the way to my lower jaw. I can take a deep breath and the pain disappears almost instantly and I’m fine after that.


I eat dinner sitting in a lazy boy recliner. (although I’m basically sitting straight up) It almost seems like something is obstructed and not allowing the food to pass through. Guessing that maybe my esophageal sphincter  isn’t opening? As I mentioned, I can take a deep breath and that seems to unblock the obstruction.


Also, from time to time after eating, I basically regurgitate parts of what I’ve just eaten. I can pretty much regurgitate on demand which helps relieve some of the pressure in my chest. Sometimes instead of food coming up, I get a  white foamy foam for lack of better words come up.  Once or twice a year I regurgitate in my sleep and it goes down my windpipe. Oh what a less then fun thing that is.


I’m not sure if maybe I have GERD and or a hiatal hernia. I do plan on visiting my GP, but thought I’d ask you guys what you thought.


Thanks in advance for your time.

Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2009
Total Posts : 553
   Posted 5/15/2009 12:13 PM (GMT -6)   
Wow, helloo and u shud be seeing a GI specialist.You need an endoscope. Please go to other recent comments on other gerd issues and u wil c.ther are many ppl that are experiencing the same issues including I in the past.
Good luk new guy an welcum

silent stream
New Member

Date Joined May 2009
Total Posts : 3
   Posted 5/15/2009 12:38 PM (GMT -6)   
I agree that you should get a upper G.I. test...

Veteran Member

Date Joined Dec 2008
Total Posts : 4961
   Posted 5/15/2009 12:54 PM (GMT -6)   
Steve -
+2 for seeing a GI for possible testing. You may have a stricture that can be dilated to ease your symptoms.

Take care,

Steve n Dallas
Veteran Member

Date Joined Mar 2008
Total Posts : 4849
   Posted 5/16/2009 5:01 AM (GMT -6)   
Thank you for the feedback.

Elite Member

Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 32602
   Posted 5/17/2009 9:49 AM (GMT -6)   

Hey Steve,

I am in total agreement with the others, get that upper GI endoscopy as it will help with a difinitive diagnosis.

I wish you well,

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Saturday, September 22, 2018 3:56 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,005,633 posts in 329,245 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161790 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Sachi Rae.
212 Guest(s), 2 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Steve n Dallas, BOB 46