I'm new to this part of the forum, as I was only recently diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus. So I can't speak to the surgery and medical issues like others can. However, I just lost my insurance June 30 (COBRA ran out) so I do understand that dilemma.
Do you know if you're eligible for a "conversion" policy from your insurance company? If so, and you elect it within 90 days (and you'll have to pay the premium for those 90 days so your coverage isn't interrupted) then I don't believe they can exclude pre-existing conditons. However, if you go beyond the 90 days, unless you'll eligible for Medicaid in your state, you may have a pre-existing condition exclusion. You definitely don't want to risk that. I know I've got all this insurance information stacked on my kitchen table and am trying to figure it out. Here in PA. we have a low cost option but there's a 1-2 year waiting list; you can private pay for it, but it costs about $350 a month to do that, and there's no Rx coverage. Start to find out what's available to you in your state, or if you're eligible for Medicaid. If you were disabled, you could get Medicare, but there's a 2 year wait from the date your disabiity is determined to have started before you can get Medicare, and it takes months or longer to get that approved.
This is all crazy, isn't it? I know we can't get political on the forum, but not having an affordable heath care option creates, at least for me, a lot more anxiety, which sure doesn't help our conditions! I also checked and any of the conversion policies I could afford would start at $1200 deductible and go up from there.
So before you put it off I would make sure you're going to be able to afford a policy that gives you continious coverage, because I'm sure the surgery would be way more expensive than any policy.