Contemplating a fundo redo

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Sirkit
Regular Member


Date Joined Jul 2009
Total Posts : 61
   Posted 7/13/2009 4:56 PM (GMT -6)   
So I had a fundo about a year back and it was very successful for about six months and then seemed to gradually fail. Initially I thought it had failed entirely but after getting several tests done it appears to have just loosened but the only way to repair it would be to do a complete redo.

My surgeon seemed pretty hesitant to do the redo and I wasn't too keen on it either considering my symptoms previous to the appointment were annoying but mild. I'm now a month post appointment with the surgeon and things have gone totally haywire. I've been in mild pain for the last three weeks and I'm back to popping Gaviscon and taking Advil for the pain. I also regularly take a double dose of pepcid and panteloc daily (maximum effective dosage as far as my GP can tell).

I'm stuck and not really sure what to do. My surgeon will do the fundo if I ask him to but he'll want to do it open rather than laproscopically but if things stay this way much longer I'm not going to be able to live. Suggestions? I'm looking for advice.

dencha
Forum Moderator


Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 7188
   Posted 7/13/2009 10:03 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi Sirkit,
I guess you'll be the one to know whether your symptoms are bad enough to warrant a redo. You might consider a different surgeon, though. You'll want one who is comfortable with redos. Also, there are skilled surgeons who are willing to do them laproscopically as well.

If your surgeon is hesitant, and you're experiencing problems, then it seems like it would make the most sense to get a second opinion. The trick is finding a surgeon who is extremely skilled in lap nissen AND redos. I always though that second Nissens had to be done open, but that's not true. I've even read where someone had their first one done open, and the redo laproscopically.

There are members here who have had redos, so hopefully one of them will post soon. I am worried that I will need one at some point. After my surgery I coughed really hard for the first two months. I'd been on prednosone, so my tissue was very delicate--the surgeon was concerned about the hernia repair he did. My asthma finally responded to the surgery, but in the meantime, I'm afraid I damaged the repair. We shall see, but I wouldn't be surprised if I have problems because of it.
Good luck, Sirkit. Hopefully you'll get some good responses soon.
You've come to the right place!
Take care,
Denise

opnwhl4
Veteran Member


Date Joined Dec 2008
Total Posts : 4961
   Posted 7/14/2009 12:29 AM (GMT -6)   
Sirkit -
Rick is the one that Denise is thinking of that had his first Nissen open and his redo done laproscopically. I also had a redo May 18th. My first one was done wrong 3 years ago and I found a different surgeon who did a redo larproscopically. I agree with Denise. I suggest finding a different surgeon since this one is hesitant, wants to do it open, and his failed so soon. There are surgeons who very skilled in redos and do them laproscopically too.If your symptoms are bad enough for you to ask about a redo I wold think they are bad enough to warrant one.

Take care,
Bill

stkitt
Elite Member


Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 32602
   Posted 7/14/2009 10:12 AM (GMT -6)   
 
Welcome to HealingWell and the GERD/Heartburn Forum. I am sorry to hear you are in the position of needing a redo on your surgery.
 
I think you have received some sound advice as your current surgeon is reluctant to redo the surgery then I too would agree to seek out a second opinion.

I would feel pretty vulnerable if my surgeon was reluctant to do the surgery but was willing to do so if I asked him. 
Again a warm welcome and do keep on talking with us.

Kind Regards,
Kitt

 
 

Kitt,
Moderator: Osteoarthritis, GERD/Heartburn
Anxiety/Panic, & Depression
*~*
http://www.healingwell.com/donate *~*
"When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others."
Not a mental health professional of any kind


Sirkit
Regular Member


Date Joined Jul 2009
Total Posts : 61
   Posted 7/14/2009 4:54 PM (GMT -6)   
Well I suppose the first issue is that navigating the Canadian system is a little different as it's harder to shop around for surgeons and I know, from various people working in the field, that the surgeon I have is the best in the region and perhaps the best in Western Canada. He was very puzzled that there has been a problem at all and considering his other successes I am as well. Long and short, despite this upset I have confidence in this particular surgeon and his ability to make another shot if I ask him to do so.

I am concerned about the open procedure mostly for vanity reasons since I already find the 5 smaller incisions to be annoyances. I realize that seems crazy but it is something I am taking into consideration; I just don't want some jagged scar running across my stomach if I can avoid it.

I am seeing my GP tomorrow and I will see what they have to say and if there is anything further that can be done from the medication side of things. If not I will likely go with the redo since I'm now becoming very concerned and after three weeks things don't seem to be getting better.

opnwhl4
Veteran Member


Date Joined Dec 2008
Total Posts : 4961
   Posted 7/14/2009 11:58 PM (GMT -6)   
Sirkit -
Rick is also in Canada, but he did travel to Florida and payed for it himself, I think. I understand about the incision issue. I counted mine after my redo. I now have 15. 10 are from the 2 Nissens. I couldn't convince them to use the same holes again.

Take care,
Bill

Sirkit
Regular Member


Date Joined Jul 2009
Total Posts : 61
   Posted 7/15/2009 4:12 PM (GMT -6)   
So I've seen my GP and his impression was that there was nothing more that he could do and he suggested I speak to surgeon and go through with the redo... boo -_-

Well at least that has been decided, I phoned the surgeon and I have an appointment the day he gets back from vacation. I will push for an endo redo but to an extent it's his surgery table and he's done a lot of these in his life. Maybe I will see if I can shop around a bit but I really can't wait the 4 months that it will take to find another surgeon and potentially find a dud. Flying to the US for the surgery is out of the question, I simply don't have the capital to pay for it.
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, September 18, 2018 7:59 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,004,459 posts in 329,148 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 161739 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, pinky;spoorback.
207 Guest(s), 14 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
Tim G, OzLyme, logoslidat, xpeetzax, Ss800, Michael_T, Admin, wednesday77, Sherrine, mordant, FamilyGuy, CatskillsMelanie, JaketheGreat, straydog