I hope someone can help me.
Quick key info my health before I start - I suffer already from many chronic illnesses. I'm 34. I have IC which is a serious bladder illness Interstitial Cystitis. Along with IC comes many chronic illnesses such as IBS, migraines, sinus/allergy problems, low immune system, joint pain & so on.
This all started this first of this month on a Wednesday. Feb. 3rd
Wednesday - I had a dental appointment for a lot of dental work. I was given tons of meds to knock me out. They didn't work well at all. I spent over 5hrs in the chair & had a lot of work done. Came home sleeping off the pills.
I ate very light and felt sick on & off which has happened in the past.
Sunday night -
I ate my first "meal" that night. Everything was going well till I took my last bite of mac& cheese (the large kind not the small blue Kraft box). I choked on it. The food got caught in my throat down near where my voice box was. This happens to me maybe twice a year at the most of so. I spent over 3hrs in the bathroom. I'd drink water, it would go hit the lump and come back up. I could feel the food working it's way very slowly & painfully back up my throat. I finally threw up the food after 3hrs. Later that night I tried to take a Tylonal for my dental pain. That too got stuck but finally dissolved after a long hour or so. I tried later to take a small pill of Bendyral for allergies. This had trouble going down too and I threw it up. During this time of throwing up I'd throw up white frothy stuff at times colored a bit like mac & cheese.
Monday - I ate a bland diet of Jello & stuff. I felt horrible and still felt the lump in my throat. No pills were taken.
Tuesday - I felt worse & went to an Urgent Care doctor who told me it seems like I had a stomach flu plus GERD. He gave me a shot and meds to take. One of these is an acid reflux med.
Wednesday 2/10 -
resting and still eating liquids such as Popsicles & jello. Unable to swallow more than that.
Thursday - Feeling like I'm starving to death I see an Ear, Nose & Throat doctor. He puts a tube down my nose to peek at my throat. He says my sphincter muscle & vocal cords are swollen. He gives me some more acid reflux meds to take.
Time has moved slowly since then. I weighed myself on Thursday I had lost 7 1/2 pounds in 20 days.
My food intake is still very limited still I still can hardly swallow anything thick. Even thick mashed potatoes are hard to eat. With my bladder disorder high acid foods even with a lot of vit. C will cause a horrible bladder flare up.
My main questions are -
1. Does this sound like GERD? My ear, nose & throat doctor seems to think so. I don't have heartburn. My only problem is at times I will have trouble swallowing food. It seems to me connected with my allergies and sinuses. I use to think the lump I felt was my tonsils but my ear nose & throat doctor said they were not big.
My mom does the food choking thing too. So did her mom my grandmother. My uncle does too plus I have an aunt. All on my mom's side. Now my mom has never had this swelling and lump problem like me.
2. If not GERD what? Tonsils and adenoids?? I did mention this to the my ENT doctor.
3. How soon should this swelling go down? I was hoping by now I could eat a little more.
4. Food! - That is my biggest issue. A nurse at one place told me to drink ENSURE or other nutritional drinks. IT HURTS MY BLADDER Due to my bladder problem the high vit C in those drinks cause horrible bladder flare ups. Think of your worst bladder infection and that is how I feel.Worst of all I can't swallow my bladder pain pill due to my swallowing problem. I'm stuck taking over the counter AZO pills which don't help too much. I am chopping up some food like baby food. Potatoes, peas (I strains them so the hull won't get hung in my throat) & pear sauce (like apple sauce)
5. Pills - Due to my many chronic health problems I take a lot of pills. Right now I am very limited at what I can take due to being unable to swallow anything larger than like a baby aspirin. I'm pouring my pills that are in capsules (I think that is what they are called). I open them and pour them over food like jello or pudding.
6. Sleeping - We have a water bed. I'm sleeping on two pillows making sure my head & shoulders are propped up. Is this ok?
What is going on with me? This is the last thing I need. All I want to do is be a devoted wife & mom. I homeschool all 3 of my kids. I already have a number of chronic illnesses and now this.
I hate it.
I'm getting depressed.
I'm 34yr old homeschooling mom of 3.
I have many chronic illnesses -
Interstitial Cystitis (bladder disorder), IBS, migraines, chronic sinus & allergies, joint pain & so on.
Post Edited (faith4jesus) : 2/16/2010 9:41:27 PM (GMT-7)