New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

LdyJane
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jun 2008
Total Posts : 903
   Posted 1/30/2011 9:00 AM (GMT -6)   
I need your wisdom ladies. I've come down with a cold and it feels like it's going into my chest...the big surgery is scheduled for the 7th....
It will take 6 to 8 weeks to reschedule because it involves two surgeons, 8 hours of OR time and then you've got ICU days....
.what do you think???
Janice

dencha
Forum Moderator


Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 7181
   Posted 1/30/2011 11:14 AM (GMT -6)   
Hi Janice,
Isn't it always the way? It is so hard to make that decision. It's exactly what happened before my Nissen surgery, and I went forward with it. That was a bit different, though, since my lungs were always bad at that point, and it was a Catch 22, since I needed the surgery to try to make them better. There was never a time when there would be a window of opportunity. That said, I probably had it when my lungs were in the worst possible shape.

I was worried about the general anesthesia, but didn't have any problem with it. I took a nebulizer treatment just before I went in, and from what I've heard from a friend who is a nurse anesthetist, they put meds into the gases they're pumping into your lungs as well.

I ended up with Rocephin shots that finally cleared it up, but in the meantime, I was coughing gunk up no end, with my husband doing lung PT. Even with all that, I found out recently with all my tests, amazingly, my wrap didn't suffer from the stress of constant coughing.

Now for your situation.

I don't know if you saw my post, but when I asked Chrysa about your coughing worries, she wasn't concerned about the coughing in regards to the success of the surgery, but did say that you would have additional abdominal pain (I think she said they tighten the muscles while they're in there) with your coughing.

My feeling is this...if you think that your lungs are going to be bad regardless, and no matter when you have the surgery you're going to be dealing with coughing, you might as well get it done now and have it behind you.

If, on the other hand, you're going to be in the midst of a horrible cold that is going to make your recovery that much more difficult and painful, and you think it's a temporary condition, it makes all kinds of sense to wait until you're lungs have cleared up.

I know, I'm no help. Do you have to let them know right now? Could you give it a little time and see what happens? I know...with me a cold usually travels to my lungs, no matter what.

Good luck with your decision, and I hope your cold makes a miraculous recovery this week!
((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))
Denise

stkitt
Elite Member


Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 32602
   Posted 1/30/2011 11:42 AM (GMT -6)   
Good Morning Janice,
 
You are on the right track in wondering how your your chest cold factors into your surgery on the 7th. 

Have you been running a fever ? How about your asthma ?
 
The rule of thumb from anesthesia's perspective - if you have an upper respiratory infection, you are increasing your chances of respiratory complications under anesthesia. For that reason, some anesthesiologists frequently postpone surgery until you have been well for 2-3 weeks.
 
It really isn't worth the risk of having laryngospasm (vocal cords spasm shut and no air can get to your lungs) or bronchospasm (asthma-like symptoms) if you can avoid it. Call your surgeon and tell him that you have a cold, and ask what needs to be done. There is a reasonable chance that your anesthesiologist will cancel your procedure, unless it is an emergency.
 
I was scheduled for surgery on my thumb back a few years but ended up with pneumonia a week before surgery.  My surgery was cancelled.
 
You know I am right here to support you so let us know what you find out.
 
Kindly,
Kitt
 
 
~~Kitt~~
Moderator: Anxiety/Panic, Osteoarthritis, GERD/Heartburn and Heart/Cardiovascular Disease.
www.healingwell.com

"If you can't change the world, change your world"

LdyJane
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jun 2008
Total Posts : 903
   Posted 1/30/2011 11:49 AM (GMT -6)   
yeah, that's what I'm afraid of; they'll cancel and reschedule for probably the middle of March. They say it's a 2 - 3 month recovery and we had planned on doing a road trip in May to see all the kids; if I have this thing in March that would push it into mid-June and then the kids schedules won't allow for it.

I'm going to see how I feel on Wednesday and if need be, call; my marking appointment is on Friday, so I guess we'll see what they say then...lousy timing!!!
Janice

stkitt
Elite Member


Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 32602
   Posted 1/30/2011 12:18 PM (GMT -6)   
Janice,
 
I am sorry this is going on but will pray that all is well and the surgery will move ahead.  Lots hugs and gentle thoughts.
 
Kitt

LdyJane
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jun 2008
Total Posts : 903
   Posted 1/30/2011 2:00 PM (GMT -6)   
Our angel, Kitt!

dencha
Forum Moderator


Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 7181
   Posted 1/30/2011 3:40 PM (GMT -6)   
Janice,
As always, Kitt offers wonderful advice. I'm so sad that you're having to deal with this right now. Somehow it never fails, does it?

I know how hard it is to imagine missing your road trip in May, but on the other hand, your health is by far the most important thing to consider. Your kids would be disappointed, but would be worried sick if you go forward with your surgery and end up with complications.

I think you're wise. Give yourself some time to see which way your cold is going, then call your surgeon.

My thoughts and prayers are with you! Hang in there, my friend.
Denise

LdyJane
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jun 2008
Total Posts : 903
   Posted 1/30/2011 3:53 PM (GMT -6)   
All will work out the way it's supposed too, but I really wanted your opinions! My address book tanked so I no longer have either of your e-mail addresses..so!

This afternoon, I actually feel a little better; the non-stop headache is finally gone! Hopefully my regimen of vicks, dayquil, nyquil, robitussin and essential oils in the tub will knock this thing outta here!

I had "dates" every day next week with friends; I've cancelled them all; especially after one of my friends told me that not only do I have to get over this cold, but I have to stay away from anyone who could throw me into something else...good point, didn't think of that one (makes you wonder how I've managed to get this old!!)

♥♥
Janice

dencha
Forum Moderator


Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 7181
   Posted 1/30/2011 4:22 PM (GMT -6)   
Excellent attitude, and good plan. We're with you, girl!♥♥

LdyJane
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jun 2008
Total Posts : 903
   Posted 2/1/2011 1:41 PM (GMT -6)   
Called the Dr.'s yesterday, told them what was going on; they called me back last night and talked to me some more and said they'll call today..so..who knows.
The stuff has definitely gone into my chest, but, besides the coughing, I do feel better..
I started myself on Keflex Sunday night and I think it's helping now too.

Now we're just waiting to see how much snow..they're forecasting 15 to 21 inches here.
Janice

stkitt
Elite Member


Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 32602
   Posted 2/1/2011 4:17 PM (GMT -6)   
Janice,
 
My email is in my profile. smhair I will be awaiting your Drs. final decision.
 
Yup, your suppose to get the snow along with 13 other states getting the big doses of snow and wind.  WE skipped by with 6 inches.
 
Keep us posted.
 
Hugs to all,
KItt

LdyJane
Veteran Member


Date Joined Jun 2008
Total Posts : 903
   Posted 2/1/2011 7:03 PM (GMT -6)   
Surgery's on; they feel comfortable. I'm on Keflex and started mucinex (although I took 2 by accident!). The hospital called for pre-op; they know about the cold and unless my status changes, we're good to go......yikes!

I thought you had changed your email kitt, so I didn't use it...

They've lowered the snow total estimate from 20+ inches to maybe 10 to 15.
love you guys.
Janice

stkitt
Elite Member


Date Joined Apr 2007
Total Posts : 32602
   Posted 2/1/2011 7:23 PM (GMT -6)   
Yippee, you do not have to wait for the surgery.  turn
 
My Yahoo email listed in my profile is working well.  My AOL got all fouled up as someone stole all my email addresses in that account. 
 
You have my prayers so make sure you get through the surgery and know we will be right here for you dear friend.
 
Gentle Hugs,
Kitt
~~Kitt~~
Moderator: Anxiety/Panic, Osteoarthritis, GERD/Heartburn and Heart/Cardiovascular Disease.
www.healingwell.com

"If you can't change the world, change your world"

dencha
Forum Moderator


Date Joined Feb 2009
Total Posts : 7181
   Posted 2/1/2011 8:30 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi Janice,
You go girl! yeah yeah yeah So glad to hear surgery is on. It's hard to wait and prepare yourself to begin with, and postponing it is just too much!

You know we'll be here sending you lots of healing thoughts and prayers!
I'll send you a quick email, so you can have mine again.

I hope you get rid of that cold speedy quick!
Keep in touch, Janice.
((((Hugs))))
Denise
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, July 16, 2018 2:03 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 2,981,914 posts in 326,949 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 161792 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, ewklgjwet02.
248 Guest(s), 7 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
hwg10714, ewklgjwet02, Lunacat13, Scaredy Cat, Charlie55, fawad malik, man1681681880