Check out the book Natural Alternatives to Nexium, Maalox, Tagamet, Prilosec & Other Acid Blockers: What to Use to Relieve Acid Reflux, Heartburn, and Gastric Ailments
. It provides a great overview of the natural remedies.
I've researched a lot of the natural remedies, and they seem to fall into three categories: (1) lifestyle changes that prevent/minimize GERD episodes; (2) substances that heal damaged tissue, reduce inflammation, or prevent damage; and (3) substances/treatments that fix a broken LES.
(1) Lifestyle changes that prevent/minimize GERD episodes.
This is the list that you'll find posted over and over again. Lift the head of your bed, avoid tight-fitting clothes, don't eat three hours before going to bed, avoid bending over, stop smoking, lose weight, avoid highly acidic foods, avoid foods that relax the LES, etc. I've probably forgotten a few, but if you've done any research at all, then I don't need to repeat these.
(2) Substances that heal damaged tissue, reduce inflammation, or prevent damage.
To heal damaged tissue, reduce inflammation, or prevent damage from reflux, I've seen the following substances recommended:
- Slippery Elm
- Aloe Vera (liquid)
- Gastrex (by Standard Process)
- Cod liver oil
(3) Substances/treatments that fix a broken LES.
I've read that the following substances/treatments can tighten the LES or cause the LES to close:
- Calcium citrate (tighten LES)
- Melatonin (6 mg/night for 40 days; tighten LES? Reduce TLESRs? )
- L-glutamine (tighten LES)
- Apple cider vinegar (promote LES closing)
- Lemon water (promote LES closing)
- Betaine HCL (w/pepsin) (promote LES closing)
- Chiropractic adjustment (especially focused on the vagus nerve)
- Osteopathac manipulation (especially focused on hiatal hernia)
Only a few of these options have been systematically studied (e.g., taking melatonin, raising the head of the bed), and a few can reportedly cause harm (e.g., HCL, osteopathic manipulation). So please don't do any of these things without independent research.
Post Edited (miketx) : 4/7/2011 12:04:50 PM (GMT-6)