Due to repeated episodes of choking, nausea, chest discomfort and feelings of something being stuck I had a gastroscopy in April with biopsies showing inflamation of the oesophagus due to acid ( I think). The barium swallow also showed oesophageal dysmotility.
To establish if the choking and dysmotility is due to acid or other reasons, I had a 48hr BRAVO oesophageal ph monitor inserted yesterday, which is really uncomfortable.
I am a bit confused re the readings on the monitor though. When I eat the readings go up over 8 sometimes nearly 9 with accompanying extreme discomfort, and other unpleasant symptoms. Occasionally it shoots down to 3 especially when I drink apple juice, or just out of the blue. However, it mostly rises to a higher pH number not low as you would expect in acid reflux.