When did you decide that you need your surgery redone?

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

cdgnirose
Regular Member


Date Joined Nov 2011
Total Posts : 20
   Posted 11/29/2011 12:26 PM (GMT -6)   
My medical unit (a nurse practioner who consults with other experts) isn't ready to send us to the States.  I believe that she thinks we may need to go there, but we need to give the medicine more time to see if it works.
 
I'm the panicky type of gal as it is my child who is suffering.  So,  I'm debating about going ourselves to the states and starting medical treatment without their okay.  This would mean that I wouldn't be going to Boston, but instead to another location where family lives.
 
So, please tell me, am I unreasonable?  She had the toupet 3 years ago.  Approximately 3 weeks ago, she started refluxing daily, nightly etc.  She's on omeprazole 40 mg twice a day at night. This seems to have helped the daytime refluxing, but not the night time.
 
They want to wait and give the medicine a chance to work..  and I want normalcy and her to be able to lie down without throwing up.  I think now is the time to go and get testing done because if she needs surgery, we can do it over the school break.
 
So,  am I overanxious or do I have  med unit who doesn't know what to do?  We won't do any testing, let alone surgery, in this country.
 
I have health insurance and a place to stay back in the states.  I can easily go there.

bcfromfl
Regular Member


Date Joined Nov 2011
Total Posts : 417
   Posted 11/29/2011 1:05 PM (GMT -6)   
I'm sorry to hear of your daughter's difficulties, and the already heavy dose of PPIs she's taking for the reflux.  It's possible that another PPI may allow her to lower the dosage, and perhaps experience better results.  The different molecular structure of the different PPIs respond differently to everyone.  Perhaps worth a try.
 
Also, it's likely that if the omeprazole is working during the day, it's also working at night.  What's probably happening is that your daughter is experiencing non-acid reflux at night since she's laying more or less prone...and PPIs do nothing to stop this.  Stomach bile, etc., can be almost as corrosive on the delicate tissues in the throat.
 
For now, see if you can find a foam wedge for her bed...one that reaches from her hips to her head.  It's not going to stop all of the reflux, but it may limit her exposure enough to allow a bit more comfort.
 
I know you are struggling with a difficult decision.  Best wishes!
 
-Bruce

cdgnirose
Regular Member


Date Joined Nov 2011
Total Posts : 20
   Posted 11/30/2011 2:36 PM (GMT -6)   
Thank you Bruce for your response.  I was hoping to hear from several people to know when I'm being unreasonable.  I must admit that I may not be reasonable or calm right now.  I am nervous since we are overseas and I can't easily get to a gastoentrologogist without either giving our medical unit time or going on my own.  There are pros and cons either way.

bcfromfl
Regular Member


Date Joined Nov 2011
Total Posts : 417
   Posted 11/30/2011 3:23 PM (GMT -6)   
I really empathize with you and your situation...it must be extremely difficult to keep yourself calm when you feel like your options are limited, and you're in a country that doesn't offer the expertise you could find elsewhere.
 
That's a fairly high dose of omeprazole for a child, but I, of course, don't know anything about the history of what she's been through already.  I would highly recommend trying another PPI.  For example, it's possible that your daughter may get the same, or better relief, from a twice-daily dose of 20mg Nexium...or other PPI, for that matter.  The effect of PPIs is cumulative over a few days, and they have a half-life of about 10-14 days.  So, to be on 80mg per day is quite a bit, especially, I would think, for a child.
 
Also, without knowing her age, or size, perhaps there is some wisdom in waiting until she grows more before having the Nissen.  It's possible that her growth over the past three years has impacted the Toupet.  I also know that you want to keep to a minimum the "redos" to laparoscopic procedures.  It's not an insignificant surgery.
 
How about diet, times of meals vs. bed, and other things to manage the reflux?  These things will help, although, not eliminate symptoms.  All this must be very stressful on her too, and that may increase acid production.
 
You know your daughter better than anyone else, and you're going to have to gauge her age, size and weight, severity of the condition, response from medication, and quality-of-life.  If your daughter is old enough, include her in this decision as well. 
 
Hopefully some other members will chime in...
 
Best wishes.
 
-Bruce
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Wednesday, June 20, 2018 12:58 PM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 2,973,706 posts in 326,122 threads.
View Active Threads


Who's Online
This forum has 161108 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, r_s_a.
452 Guest(s), 14 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
alephnull, 81GyGuy, dacarte3, Lwill351, Michael_T, 10LymeB, Lovemy3, opugirl, Healing98, Noah2112, SharonZ, insomniaaa, Proverbs356, J.Griff85