Food combining is very important, not just for GERD, but for maximum nutrient absorption, and especially is you have any IBD or IBS issues.
It is based on the principle that certain foods are more acidic or more alkaline, and therefore also require different digestive enzymes.
Here are some basic rules:
1) fruit (or fruit juices) must be eaten by itself on an empty stomach, in most cases that would mean first thing in the am. You need wait only 30 minutes prior to starting carbs or protein meal, after fruit.
2) You can't combine carbs + proteins ( they require totally different digestive enzymes and different digestive times and processes). So the typical SAD diet of steak and potatoes is all wrong.
3) You can't combine fruit with carbs or proteins.
4) fats combine with carbs, or with proteins, or fruits - without problems.
5) be careful of classification, as many veggies are actually starchy, which under these rules would make them carbs.
6) Non-starchy veggies can be combined with carbs or proteins.
Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, email me.
Rx meds didn't help me. But 4.5 mg LDN +Paleo diet +supplements=REMISSION.Protein shakes w/almond milk,Maca powder,L-Glutamine,D-Ribose,chia seeds.VSL#3,K2,VIt. D3,slippery elm bark powder.For more info,my protocol is the 11th post at this link: http://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=38&m=1666318
If you have any questions, you can find my email address at my profile.