Last month it was bad: Back to PPI
I started to recover slowly.
Week1 - Taking 40mg pantoprazole before breakfast, 150mg Zantac at bedtime. Stopped Zantac after 3 days after nocturnal symptoms cleared up.
Week2 - Taper down 40mg pantoprazole to 10mg rabeprazole after healing is achieved.
Week3 - Stopped PPI and started to manage the acid rebound. Started to take traditional Chinese herbs.
Week4 - Still managing acid rebound. Still taking TCM herbs.
Week5 - Acid rebound has stopped. Still taking TCM herbs.
I also used antacid/zantac/metochropramide 5mg (reglan) to manage acute heartburn that doesn't stop.
1. Meditation daily to control stress / anxiety
2. I ate less in the first four weeks. I practiced meal splitting. Low-fat diet. No gassy, acidic, spicy, hot, alcoholic, raw, cold, stimulative, gas-producing, hard-to-digest stuff. No supper.
3. sleep on a slanted wedge.
4. I took ACV only after esophagus has healed. It helped to improve digestion, gastric emptying and reduce acid rebound! It works for me! 1 tsp + honey + half glass of water AFTER meals.
5. I use Slippery Elm / Manuka Honey as my soothing herb. They ease irritation, but they generally don't stop heartburn.
6. Acupunture / Acupressure, Reduce tLESr, reduce bloating, pass gases, reduce heartburn, very significant effect on me.
7. Took probiotics only in the first two weeks when I had lower abdomen bloating. I stopped after it cleared up.
8. Eat an antioxidant-rich fruit - blueberries, grapes, strawberries to prevent Barrett.
Now I am researching on how to stop it from recurring. I have had enough of GERD.