Where do I go for help???

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Mar 2012
Total Posts : 52
   Posted 9/22/2012 11:03 PM (GMT -6)   
Hello All,
I am considering having some tests done to assess my swallowing as even though my surgeon said I don't need it as I don't have achalasia, doesn't mean that there isn't another problem. I never had any of these tests done prior to surgery the 1st or the 2nd time and certainly never had problems swallowing.( 1st op was hernia repair and 180 fundo. 2nd op April 12 hernia repair and repair to disrupted wrap, not a redo)
I would like to know for sure if my swallowing problem is due to a the tight crural repair, or a possible problem with esophageal motility. I'm not even sure that I can factor out reherniation due to a return of reflux symptoms.( I was sent for a barium x-ray, at my request were I had 2 medium swallows of barium and 2 marshmallows all whilst standing to check for reherniation before I was literally dismissed. My surgeon insisted that I attend this radiologist only. The 1 shot they had of my stomach didn't clearly show the top of my stomach at all. It would have been laughable if it hadn't cost me $220.00 dollars and had the opposite affect of making me breakdown and cry instead.)
I have been continuing to take nexium once a day for heartburn symptoms for the past 5 weeks, that I wasn't initially convinced was actual reflux, as the burning sensation is in my throat also. Something I am unaccustomed to in my 30 odd year battle with reflux. The nexium doesn't seem to alleviate the symptoms entirely, but it does offer relief on the basis of severity. I tried going without nexium and unfortunately the burning does come back with a vengeance.
I will not be asking my surgeon for assistance in this matter any longer as he continues to show little interest, and had offered no remedy to my problem with burning. So I am wondering who else I can see about these tests. Is a gastroenterologist or a speech pathologist the one I would ask my GP for a referral for?
Also, I kind of get the impression that if you want to see another surgeon, they won't deal with you unless they have the permission from your original surgeon. So how does one terminate their liaison with their current surgeon in order to get help from someone else? I don't want anyone else having to seek permission from someone who has treated me with disdain and with whom I no longer have any confidence in. A decision of which should be left entirely up to me surely?
New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Thursday, September 20, 2018 5:58 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,005,014 posts in 329,189 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161758 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, VacuumCleaner.
227 Guest(s), 4 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
bigecase, dbrookenz, alltheway, beagleman