I will tell my story and ask my questions in a minute, but I have to say that Denise (dencha) has single handedly made my mental life better. So thank you for your posts, journal, and positivity. I am truly grateful. Thank you for paying it forward....
My story is that I'm a 37 year old male, who never had too many issues with reflux personally until I found out I had thyroid cancer and had to have my thyroid removed. Since the surgery I have noticed the onset of the reflux more and more. Then finally I decided to have my radiation dose (pretty routine) in January 2012. From the day Swallowed that RAI pill I had graduated from reflux to full fledged GERD! I have had 2 endoscopies and a barium swallow that confirmed my gerd and that my LES is weak. The doctor actually wrote that I have spontaneous reflux on swallowing.
I have been as miserable as most with this and borderline depressed since the onset. This is not a fun one to get as every minute is a reminder.
My GI had me do a ph test and monometry. I get the result mid January, and this will help determine if I need surgery.
I've noticed that since my ph and monometry testing, that my reflux is so much worse. I officially have LPR, which sucks, but the frequency of tasting the acid in my throat and the constant sore throats and sinuses is getting out of hand. Im on 40 mgs of nexium twice Daily, with domperidone twice daily, along with 150 of the u2 blocker for the bad weeks, often twice daily.
My voice is raspy and weak and to top it all off, my uncle died of esophagile cancer. Needles to say, I'm a little worried.
Sorry for the novel, but I had to get it out in my first post....
Here are some questions I have:
1) have any of you who have had the Nissen contracted the flu or had to "vomit"? I know you can't barf after the surgery, but what happens
2) what did your doctors say about
the life of the wrap? I've heard everything from it not working, to a 10 year lifespan.... I'm at a loss for what to do at my age....
3) does your life get back to normal. I mean, do you feel normal internally after all the healing is done? Can you drink alcohol and go out with friends and light up the town every once and a while? I work out of a suitcase a lot and find it hard to eat mindfully when on the road, especially in Europe.
4) I have a small hiatal hernia as well and wonder if others have the cronic hiccuping and burping that I have. Literally I often burp and hiccup at the same time. Kind of like a spasm. Does anyone else have this, and will it be fixed by Nissen?
5) after the surgery, can you sleep normally again? Im not able to sleep on my left side as advised because my LES just
opens and the reflux comes right up. I'm elevated 6 inches and it doesn't do much, even with stacking the pillows.... Sleeping is not great for me
6) gas .. Bloating after Nissen. I tend to be in meetings for full days. I worry about
having tremendous pains from potentially holding in my gas. Is this something to worry about
7). If you need a redo on the Nissen, can they do it laproscopically? Or would you have to get the
So many questions, I know, but I had to get it out. Any insight on this would be appreciated
Thanks for reading
a ph test and a monomotry test ( still waiting for these results)
Post Edited (Stockster) : 12/31/2012 11:58:46 PM (GMT-7)