New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> ]

Regular Member

Date Joined Sep 2013
Total Posts : 193
   Posted 1/12/2014 11:45 AM (GMT -6)   
My main symptoms are throat burning, throat clearing, hoarseness/raspy voice. This has been going on for months now and is all related to eating as I get these symptoms after everything I eat, but much much worse after acidic foods. I cannot lie flat as the throat burning is unbearable so have the head of my bed raised.

What I want to ask is whether it would be worth while having a laryngoscopy to investigate possible damage in this area?

My 24hr PH was normal (I have a hernia which could be a sliding one) and I thought that maybe an ENT specialist could tell if any damage is acid related. I desperately need some evidence so that I can get appropriate treatment.

I would be very grateful if anyone could advise on this please?

Many thanks.

Post Edited (Noelle3) : 1/12/2014 9:48:15 AM (GMT-7)

Veteran Member

Date Joined Nov 2012
Total Posts : 532
   Posted 1/12/2014 12:20 PM (GMT -6)   
Hi Noelle 3,

Yes an ENT could diagnose LPR but only if significant damage has already occurred. When I got dysphagia from LPR my throat looked fine- but pepsin and gastric contents eventually turned it red. I was diagnosed with a PH & Impedance tests on the second go - this was confirmed with a peptest that was off the charts.
You could also try a Restech test, this monitors what is refluxing into your throat, and mine all started with a hernia as well.
Hope that you get some treatment soon
LPR, Hypothyroidism, Glaucoma, Dry Eye Syndrome, Positional Vertigo

"I am simply stunned...that is this age of technology not one company or individual has managed to make a valve that could be placed BELOW the LES to STOP reflux!"

Regular Member

Date Joined Sep 2013
Total Posts : 193
   Posted 1/12/2014 3:24 PM (GMT -6)   

Thank you for that information about LPR being able to be diagnosed if bad enough through an Ent specialist .. that's really helpful.

I was going to get a pepsin test done through that company in Hull, but was told that most physicians don't accept it. Is that true? So I thought would be the point in paying out for it because even if I get evidence of pepsin in my throat it won't be accepted. May I ask where you got your pepsin levels checked and if they were accepted by your doctor/gastroenterologist?

I'd love to have the Restech test, but I believe only one hospital in the country does it and that's in Bristol. I'm in London. I wouldn't mind travelling, but I don't know if you can get tests done through the NHS in another part of the country.

To the best of my knowledge I only had a basic 24hr PH test and not an impedence one which I believe monitors more than acid reflux?

Post Edited (Noelle3) : 1/12/2014 1:27:50 PM (GMT-7)

New Topic Post Reply Printable Version
Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, September 25, 2018 9:49 AM (GMT -6)
There are a total of 3,006,420 posts in 329,334 threads.
View Active Threads

Who's Online
This forum has 161832 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, cocospinelli.
337 Guest(s), 10 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details
DBwithUC, Naples, Mind body spirit, hopenchange, cashlessclay, Tudpock18, ASAdvocate, Med N, FLBeachgal, WV Mike