On March 26, 2020... my breathing started to feel "weird." It was very mild and only noticeable if I paid attention to it. By May, it had worsened. There were many little changes that bring me to now, January 2021... but I'll just skip to now.
- I'm an otherwise healthy 40 y/o female. I'm 5'6"... an avid cyclist/mtb'er and 120 lbs.
- My breathing is not right. I can't say that I'm "struggling," but more that it's very very uncomfortable. I have a history of exercise induced asthma, but have NEVER had ANY symptoms of asthma outside of exercise. Even when I'm sick.
- I feel like a sort of burning/cold sensation in my throat. When I inhale, it kind of feels like I have holes in my throat that the air is escaping through.
- I have a dry cough that has a strong vibrating sound.
- I feel all of these things all day long. It used to only be at night, but now it's constant but worsens at night.
- When I eat doesn't seem to have an impact on anything.
- Hot steamy showers provide SOME relief, but the moment I'm out of the shower, everything returns.
- When I exercise now, my throat just aches.
- I have a regular sore throat.
- The past two months, I have developed post nasal drip. The last week or two, I also seem to have a bit of phlegm.
- My nose is clear for the most part, except when I lay down for a long period of time.
- I've tried sleeping wedged up. Or even just sitting up in a recliner. This does not help.
- I've tried inhalers, ppi's, allergy meds, relocated for a month, and fasting. None of this has helped.
- I have never really had what I assume "heart burn" is. I feel like I've experienced a pain in my chest once or twice in my life, and I assume that's what heart burn is.
I just keep getting passed around from one doctor to the next. The wait time to see a specialist is a long time, so I just keep waiting. Because I'm not gasping for air, they put me at the end of the line. But breathing hurts, I have a constant sore throat, I can't exercise so it's sort of making things worse, and I've been averaging 2 hours of sleep a night for almost a year. I'm exhausted, depressed, and in constant pain. But still not enough to warrant a doctor fully taking this on. SO... I've been online for months jumping from one possibility to the next as my symptoms change or one possibility seems unlikely. Now I'm here.
Does this sound like GERD? I'm so confused because it literally came on over night. I've never had reflux symptoms in the past other than maybe the very rare acidic taste in my mouth when I've belched. Or the 1 or 2 experiences with possible heart burn in my 40 years. I have been waiting on seeing a Gastro specialist for months now. My appointment is in a couple weeks and I feel like I need an endoscopy. I live in Canada and I feel like they are very reluctant to run tests. I'm very very clam and understated in person. So if I'm experiencing discomfort at a 10... they would see me and think.. "nope, that's a 4." It's a battle for me because it creates a lack of urgency. And I just can't put on a show so that they know how I'm really feeling. I don't have it in me. I haven't had much luck with doctors. Frankly they all seem useless to me at this point.
Any guidance or thoughts would be great. I've read much of this forum. I'm terrified of having surgery as I have a very physical job that requires carrying 30-50 lbs around at all times as well as lots of bending over. Being bloated is one of the worst things I can imagine feeling. So that terrifies me as well.
Thanks in advance.
Post Edited (GohereGothere) : 1/18/2021 10:16:53 PM (GMT-7)